Molar binding energy of uranium-235 nuclei

In summary: So I just don't understand what you are trying to say.In summary, the molar binding energy of uranium 235 nuclei is calculated using the equation E=Δmc^2, where the mass of 1 uranium nucleus is 235.0439u and the mass of nucleons is 236.90814u. By subtracting the mass of the nucleus from the mass of the nucleons, the change in mass is found to be 1.9147u. This is then converted to energy using the equation Emolar=(1.9147u)(3x10^8m/s)^2(1.67x10^-27kg/u) and the Avogadro's number is included to find the binding
deezer

Homework Statement

What is the molar binding energy of uranium 235 nuclei?
Givem: The mass of 1 uranium nuecli is 235.0439u

Homework Equations

E=Δmc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

mass of nucleons: m=92P+143n=236.90814u

mass of nucleus: m=234.99343u

Δm=239.90814-234.99343u=1.9147u

Emolar=(1.9147u)(3x10^8m/s)^2(1.67x10^-27kg/u)
=2.8778x10^-10 J/nucleus (6.02x10^23 nuclei/mole)(1kJ/1000J)
=1.7324x10^11 kJ/mol

Is my answer correct? Also did I name the nucleons/nucleus correctly? I'm not sure if I should have called them what I called them since the nucleons are the nucleus technically.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nucleon is a collective name for the neutron and the proton. These are the two constituents of the atomic nucleus.
I did not check your numbers, but the method looks correct, except you left out the Avogadro's number in the first line.

ehild

ehild said:
Nucleon is a collective name for the neutron and the proton. These are the two constituents of the atomic nucleus.
I did not check your numbers, but the method looks correct, except you left out the Avogadro's number in the first line.

ehild

So what should I change the names to?

And why do I need Avogadro's number in the first line?

deezer said:
So what should I change the names to?

And why do I need Avogadro's number in the first line?

Emolar=(1.9147u)(3x10^8m/s)^2(1.67x10^-27kg/u)

You used the correct name for protons and neutrons. They are nucleons.
I quoted your first line for Emolar but it was the binding energy of one nucleus.

ehild

ehild said:
You used the correct name for protons and neutrons. They are nucleons.
I quoted your first line for Emolar but it was the binding energy of one nucleus.

ehild

It is molar, I converted it to kJ/mol.

1. What is molar binding energy?

Molar binding energy is the amount of energy required to break apart one mole of a substance into its individual elements or particles.

2. Why is molar binding energy important in the study of uranium-235 nuclei?

Molar binding energy is important in the study of uranium-235 nuclei because it helps us understand the stability and behavior of this radioactive isotope. The higher the molar binding energy, the more tightly bound the nucleus is, making it more stable.

3. How is molar binding energy calculated for uranium-235 nuclei?

Molar binding energy for uranium-235 nuclei is calculated using the famous equation E=mc², where E is the energy, m is the mass defect, and c is the speed of light. The mass defect is the difference between the actual mass of the nucleus and the sum of the masses of its individual protons and neutrons.

4. What is the unit of measurement for molar binding energy?

The unit of measurement for molar binding energy is joules per mole (J/mol) or electron volts per mole (eV/mol). These units represent the amount of energy required to break apart one mole of a substance into its individual particles.

5. How does the molar binding energy of uranium-235 nuclei compare to other isotopes?

The molar binding energy of uranium-235 is relatively high compared to other isotopes, making it a highly stable and long-lived isotope. This is one of the reasons why it is commonly used in nuclear reactors and weapons.