How to find the center of a paraboloidal wave

  • Thread starter Thread starter semc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Center Wave
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
semc
Messages
364
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement


Show that the paraboloidal wave centered at the point z1 is converted by a lens of focal length f into a paraboloidal wave centered about z2 where 1/z1+1/z2 =1/f


Homework Equations


Equation of paraboloidal wave and transmittance through a thin lens.


The Attempt at a Solution


I multiplied the paraboloidal wave and the transmittance through the thin lens and I got
U(r)=Aexp(-jnkd)exp[jk([itex]\frac{x^2+y^2}{2f}[/itex]-z)]
But how do I continue to show that this paraboloidal wave is centered at f?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like your lens is located at z=0; the parabolic wave centered at z is basically a spherical wave centered at z1 where z1 is faraway from the lens, i.e., z1^2>>x^2+y^2, so that the wavefront at the lens ~ exp[ik(x^2+y^2)/(2z1)]. (Taylor expansion of the phase ikR where R^2=x^2+y^2+z^2) Now multiply by the lens phase exp[ik(x^2+y^2)/(2f)] and figure out where the center is. Double check the sign conventions since I haven't done these for years.