1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force of Constraint for Particle in a Paraboloid

1. Oct 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle is sliding inside a frictionless paraboloid defined by [itex]r^2 = az[/itex] with no gravity. We must show that the force of constraint is proportional to [itex](1+4r^2/a^2)^{-3/2}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]f(r,z) = r^2-az = 0[/itex]
    [itex]F_r = \lambda \frac{\partial f}{\partial r}[/itex] (and similarly for [itex]F_z[/itex])

3. The attempt at a solution
    [itex]F_r = \lambda \frac{\partial f}{\partial r} = 2r\lambda[/itex] and [itex]F_z = \lambda \frac{\partial f}{\partial z} = -a\lambda[/itex] and hence the total force of constraint is [itex]F = \sqrt{F_r^2+F_z^2} = (4r^2+a^2)^{1/2}\lambda[/itex].

So you can factor out the a from the square root and get [itex](1+4r^2/a^2)^{1/2} a \lambda[/itex] but the exponent is supposed to be -3/2, not 1/2. What am I missing? Am I supposed to find a factor of [itex](1+4r^2/a^2)^{-2}[/itex] in the [itex]\lambda[/itex] somewhere? How would I go about doing that?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2014 #2
    Hello izzhov,
    You calculated the module of F. Perhaps the force of constrain is proportional to [itex](1+4r^2/a^2)^{-3/2}[/itex] since [itex]\hat{F}=\frac{\vec{F}}{|F|}[/itex]. ([itex]\lambda[/itex] should be a number, independent of r).

4. Oct 5, 2014 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The ##\lambda## is the Lagrange multiplier in the Euler-Lagrange equations, extended with the constraints (see a treatise on EL / Hamilton's principle, e.g Goldstein, Classical Mechanics -- or, as I suspect, your lecture notes) $${d\over dt}{\partial L\over \partial \dot q_k} - {\partial L\over \partial q_k}=\lambda a_k.$$That's three eqations in four variables (the coordinates and ##\lambda##). The fourth equation is ##{df\over dt} = 0##. ##f## is the constraint equation and df = ##\sum {\partial f\over \partial q_k}\dot q + {\partial f\over \partial t}## (the very last one being 0).

You need to solve for ##\lambda## only, since you aren't interested in the coordinates. Perhaps knowing that ##L = T## and choosing a nice set of ##q_k## makes it easier. Your choice is perhaps fine, but you do need to work out ##T##.

I do not understand the cwasd post (nice password candidate, this cwasdwqe combination!)

5. Oct 5, 2014 #4
    Yep, I was definitely thinking outside the box, feeling sleepy. You're right with Euler-Lagrange.
    Cwasdqwe's too weak for a proper password... :w

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted