1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the final velocity o

1. Oct 14, 2015 #1
    The question is:
    a bullet that is shot from a target is travelling at an initial speed of 80 m/s and it is 6 m away from its target. The target is wearing a bullet proof vest that is 0.26 m thick. As the bullet makes contact with the vest is slows down at a rate of 9000 m/s2. What is the final velocity of the equation?

I would assume that the equation used would be Vf^(2) = Vi^(2) + 2ad, however each time I attempt this question I get an answer that makes absolutely no sense.
    So, please help me,
    Thank you! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2015 #2
    EDIT: I realized I did the problem and, according to the guidelines, that isn't allowed! So, instead: for the acceleration, is 9000 m/s2 constant for the whole 6.26 m?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Oct 14, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

how do you expect anyone to tell you where you are going wrong if you do not post your working?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted