How to find the function for which ∫ √x*√(1+y'^2) dx is stationary?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the path function for which the integral ∫ √x*√(1+y'^2) dx is stationary using the Euler Lagrange equation. The solution is given as x= C+(y-D)^2/4C, which is the equation of a parabola. There is confusion about how to get to this equation from the given equation, but it is suggested to square both sides and simplify before integrating. Additionally, there is a question about why the problem asks for y=y(x) but the solution is in the form x=x(y).
nafizamin
This was originally posted in a non-homework forum and does not use the template.
this is an euler lagrange equation problem from the book- "classical mechanics-John R. Taylor", problem-6.11

find the path function for which ∫ √x*√(1+y'^2) dx is stationary.

the answer is- x= C+(y-D)^2/4C, the equation of a parabola.

here the euler lagrange equation will work on f=√x*√(1+y'^2).

since ∂f/∂y= 0, so ∂f/∂y'= const

→ √x*y'/ √(1+y'^2)= constant.

then i don't get how i get from here to the equation of the parabola.

any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Square both sides of the equation, then do algebra till you get ##y'## on one side, and ##x## on the other. Integrate.

well, squaring gives me- x*y'^2=C(1+y'^2). i could separate to get x=C(1+y'^2)/y'^2

how do i integrate the terms involving y'^2 ?

You have not simplified it enough. You can transform that to an equation that does not involve fractions.

Does anyone know why the problem asks for y=y(x) but the solution is in the form x=x(y)?

1. What does it mean for a function to be stationary?

Stationary in this context means that the derivative of the function is equal to zero at a certain point. This indicates that the function has reached a critical point, where it is neither increasing nor decreasing.

2. How do I find the derivative of a function involving an integral?

To find the derivative of a function involving an integral, you can use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus which states that the derivative of an integral is the original function. In this case, you would first take the derivative of the integrand and then evaluate it at the limits of integration.

3. How can I determine if a function is stationary using calculus?

To determine if a function is stationary using calculus, you would first take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, you would solve for the variable to find the critical points. Finally, you would use the second derivative test to determine if the critical points are maximum, minimum, or inflection points.

4. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for finding the function for which ∫ √x*√(1+y'^2) dx is stationary?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to find the function for which ∫ √x*√(1+y'^2) dx is stationary. These include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitutions. It is also important to carefully evaluate the limits of integration and to use algebraic manipulations to simplify the integral before attempting to take the derivative.

5. Can I use software or calculators to find the function for which ∫ √x*√(1+y'^2) dx is stationary?

Yes, there are many software programs and calculators that can assist in finding the function for which ∫ √x*√(1+y'^2) dx is stationary. These tools can help with the algebraic manipulations and calculations involved in finding the derivative and solving for the critical points. However, it is still important to have a solid understanding of the calculus concepts involved in order to properly interpret and utilize the results provided by these tools.