How to Find the Inductance of a Long Solenoid?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ttiger2k7
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
ttiger2k7
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Simple Self-Inductance Problem

Homework Statement



Find the inductance L of a long solenoid of length 39.0 cm, and radius 2.30 cm, which has 3.10E2 turns. (Express you answer in units of H for henrys).

Homework Equations



[tex]L=\frac{N\Phi_{B}}{i}[/tex]
[tex]\Phi_{B}=BA=\frac{\mu_{0}NiA}{2\pi*r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Okay, so the way I am thinking to solve this problem is to first get the magnetic flux. But I have no idea how to find the current [tex]i[/tex] for a solenoid. Since I don't know how to find [tex]i[/tex], I simply plugged in the formula for flux into the formula for inductance to get:

[tex]L=\frac{N\Phi_{B}}{i}=\frac{\mu_{0}N^{2}A}{2\pi*r}[/tex]

That's where I get stuck. *If* I am in fact going about this the right way, do I just find area by using pi*r^2?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try

[tex] L=\frac{\mu_{0}N^{2}A}{l}[/tex]

Where A is cross sectional area and l is the length of the solenoid.

I think...