Finding the inverse of f(x) = 2x³ + 5x + 3 at x = 1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
HopelessCalc
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let f(x) = 2x^3 + 5x + 3
Find the inverse at f^-1(x) = 1

Homework Equations


N/A

The Attempt at a Solution



The only way that I know how to solve inverses is by solving for X, then replacing it by Y. Then I supposed I would sub 1 into the inverted polynomial. However I'm not sure how to solve for X.
My attempt:
y - 3 = 2x^3 + 5x
(y - 3)/x = x(2x^2 + 5)

Then, hopelessness. Any info will be extremely helpful for my test this Friday. Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your statement is a bit unclear -- I'm interpreting you to say that you want to find x = f-1(1) , that is, what value of x gives f(x) = 1 ?

I don't think they want you to solve the cubic equation [itex]2x^{3} + 5x + 3 = 1[/itex] (unless they taught you how to do so in your course). This doesn't come out nicely at all...

I'm wondering if they're asking that if you had the function y = f-1(x)*, what value of x would give y = 1 ? This is equivalent to asking what f(1) equals: the value of f(1) is the number that f-1(x) would "take back" to 1 .*whatever that is exactly -- it wouldn't be pretty; instead, we will work with what is called the "implicit function"
 
Yes, as both dynamicsolo and abhishek ghos are saying, you are completely misunderstanding the problem. The problem does NOT as you to find the inverse function, which would be extremely complex. It only asks you to find the single value [itex]f^{-1}(1)[/itex].

Use the fact that if [itex]f(x)= y[/itex] then [itex]x= f^{-1}(y)[/itex].