How to find the Koopman eigenbasis for a given dynamical system (robotics)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a linear state space representation for controlling a swerve drive in FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) and the need to find an appropriate Koopman invariant subspace. The speaker also mentions the use of a holonomic drive system and provides resources for further information.
TheoSB
I am looking to do control for a swerve drive for FRC, and I would really like a linear state space representation so that I can formulate my MPC as a Quadratic Program. I understand that in order to do this I need to find an appropriate Koopman invariant subspace, ideally finite dimensional. What are the general means of finding this basis, and is it at all analogous to finding eigen things for a linear transformation?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

This is a pretty specialized question, but hopefully you will get some good replies soon. In the mean time, here is some background information for those interested:

https://www.mit.edu/%7Earbabi/research/KoopmanIntro.pdf

http://team484.org/programming/notes/swerve-drive/

Swerve drive is a holonomic drive system. Holonomic means that the drive train allows the robot to move in all degrees of freedom (It can rotate, move forward/backward, and slide left/right). In the case of swerve drive, this is achieved by independently pivoting and controlling the speed of each wheel on the drive train. Due to the nature of this control system, 8 motors and speed controllers are required but the result is a high traction drive system that can predictably move according to all three degrees of freedom at the same time.

1. What is the Koopman eigenbasis and why is it important in robotics?

The Koopman eigenbasis is a set of eigenfunctions that can be used to describe the behavior of a dynamical system. In robotics, it is important because it allows us to analyze the system's behavior and make predictions about its future states.

2. How do you determine the Koopman eigenbasis for a given dynamical system?

The Koopman eigenbasis can be determined through a process called Koopman operator analysis. This involves collecting data from the system and using mathematical techniques to identify the eigenfunctions that best describe its behavior.

3. Can the Koopman eigenbasis be used for all types of dynamical systems in robotics?

Yes, the Koopman eigenbasis can be used for linear and nonlinear systems in robotics. However, the accuracy of the predictions may vary depending on the complexity of the system.

4. How does the Koopman eigenbasis differ from other methods of analyzing dynamical systems in robotics?

The Koopman eigenbasis differs from other methods, such as state-space models or machine learning techniques, in that it focuses on the system's behavior rather than its internal states. This allows for a more intuitive understanding of the system's dynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Koopman eigenbasis in robotics?

One limitation of using the Koopman eigenbasis is that it requires a large amount of data to accurately identify the eigenfunctions. This can be challenging for systems with limited data or in real-time applications. Additionally, the accuracy of the predictions may decrease over time if the system's dynamics change significantly.