How to Find the Length of a Circle on a Unit Sphere?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter whattttt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curve Length Manifold
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
whattttt
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Can anyone help with finding the length of a circle (theta) =pi/2 (latitude 90') on the unit sphere. I know it is related to the equation
L=
integral from 0 to T of
Sqrt(g_ij (c't,c't))
The formula is on the wikipedia page called Riemannian manifold so you can get a better idea what it looks like. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
whattttt said:
Can anyone help with finding the length of a circle (theta) =pi/2 (latitude 90') on the unit sphere. I know it is related to the equation
L=
integral from 0 to T of
Sqrt(g_ij (c't,c't))
The formula is on the wikipedia page called Riemannian manifold so you can get a better idea what it looks like. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

parametrize the sphere and write down the circle with the parameters. The do the integral.
easier might be to do a little geometry and figure out the radius of the circle.
 
I assume the sphere is
x= cos(theta)sin(alpha)
Y= sin(theta)sin(alpha)
Z= cos(alpha)


For a circle theta = pi/2 can you please point me in the right direction how to implement the formula.
I guess g_ij is worked out from the sphere but am not sure how to do the rest. Thanks for any help

Is the final answer pi, as if it is I think I know how it works
 
Last edited:
whattttt said:
I assume the sphere is
x= cos(theta)sin(alpha)
Y= sin(theta)sin(alpha)
Z= cos(alpha)For a circle theta = pi/2 can you please point me in the right direction how to implement the formula.
I guess g_ij is worked out from the sphere but am not sure how to do the rest. Thanks for any help

Is the final answer pi, as if it is I think I know how it works

Write down the equation for the circle in your trigonometric coordinates. What is it?
 
It works out to be (sin(alpha))^2. do I just put this into the formula
 
whattttt said:
It works out to be (sin(alpha))^2. do I just put this into the formula

I don't think that equation is right.

You need to figure out what x,y, and z are as functions of alpha.