• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Other How to find the most interesting papers?

• Thread starter Vrbic
  • Start date
Hello,
I'm a Ph.D. student of Astrophysics and I would like to expand my horizons in this field. The best is probably to read papers around. I don't mean just new ones. But how to effectively find papers from my field when there are so many papers for example at https://arxiv.org/ or http://adswww.harvard.edu/.
I believe that many experienced scientists are reading many papers (at least abstracts or results). Please advise me how are you effectively looking for the most interesting for you.
Thank you.

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Your supervisor should know what papers are relevant for you. Have you asked him/her?

Your supervisor should know what papers are relevant for you. Have you asked him/her?
Yes, I read what he suggests, but I would like to do something more (to be more independent in a good sense), but don't spend comparable time for searching as for reading.

Choppy

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Read. A lot.

As a PhD student you should have a handful of journals that you read on a regular basis. By that I mean you get an email when a new issue of each of your regular journals is out, you skim through the abstracts, and then read those articles that interest you.

And when you have a cluster of friends and colleagues who are doing this - talk to each other. Many of the most interesting papers I've found have been from someone else who saw something they thought I would find interesting.

Another option is to join or start a journal club.

Dr. Courtney

Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
I don't think there is an objective criteria for interesting.

But once I find a few papers that are interesting to me I take several approaches to find more:
1. Look up other papers by the same author(s)
2. Look up papers that the interesting papers cite
3. Look up later papers that cite the interesting papers