How to keep track of the latest results in your field?

  • Topic: Studying 
  • Thread starter Thread starter kelly0303
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Field Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 2K views
kelly0303
Messages
573
Reaction score
33
Hello! What is the best way to focus on the most relevant, recently published papers in your field (in my case physics). Usually I just go on arXiv (hopefully most of them will be there), choose my field of interest and start scrolling. But that takes a lot of time. Searching for key words helps but that way you risk missing good papers. Do people with more experience have any advice for better ways to keep up to date with the new papers coming every day? Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The "recommended articles" in Google Scholar can be a good place to start, especially once you are "following" enough relevant authors.
Subscribing the the ToC of some relevant journals can also be a good idea.
 
I use arXiv too (I bookmarked the atomic physics subsection so my daily arxiv check is over in less than a minute), but I hear about most of the cool papers from my coworkers. Try asking folks, "see any cool papers lately?" Its a bit random but it works! Getting your group to do a weekly journal club doesn't hurt either.