1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the optimum angle for takeoff for ski jump using

1. Mar 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find how to find the optimum angle for take off on the ski flying hill using projectile motion. and why?

2. Relevant equations
    formula-for-trajectory-of-projectile-motion.png

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm just confused, because would I just use all the formulas above to solve the problem? or do I have to create another formula?
    The optimum angle would result in the maximum horizontal range, right?
    We know the time of flight = 2Vyi/g so the range = Vxi*2Vyi/g = 2Vi²/g *sinΘ*cosΘ =
    R(Θ) = 2Vi²/g *sinΘ*cosΘ = Vi²/g *sin2Θ

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The first and last equations you quote assume landing at the same height as take-off. Is that case in your question?
    (Always best to quote the whole question word for word in your post, in case you have misinterpreted something.)

4. Mar 8, 2017 #3
    so how would I write it if the landing it different from the takeoff?

5. Mar 8, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Go back to the more fundamental ("SUVAT") equations from which those are derived.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted