How to find the pH of HCl and NaOH combined.

• Thread starter Sjm757
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hcl Ph
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of titrating a solution of .100mL of .100M HCl with .100M NaOH and filling in a chart with various measurements. The summary includes mentioning the volume of NaOH added, the moles remaining, and the pH, as well as the confusion regarding finding the hydronium ion concentration and concentration of OH. The conversation also touches on the topic of hydronium, pH, and the water ion product, with a final resolution of using the -log method to calculate pH.
Sjm757

Homework Statement

I have .100mL of .100M HCl titrated with .100M NaOH, Theres a chart I have to fill in and I'm completely lost. I have the volume of NaOH(from 0ml-200ml) I have to find the total volume of the solution, I get that, moles remaining of solution molarity of remaining solution the hydronium ion concentration the OH concentration and the pH

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

0.00mL of NaOH added, so the volume is .01L, the moles remaining would also be .01 because 100mL*.100M HCl, the pH is just -log.01 then, resulting in 2. I don't know how to get the Hydronium ion concentration or concentration of OH, any help is welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
I read the water ion product, that would apply to solutions not diluted?

It applies to all solutions.

But you should start learning about hydronium and pH. In general pH is NOT minus log of the acid concentration (even if in some specific circumstances it can be calculated this way).

I talked to my teacher and he just wanted us to find the pH as the -log way. But I got it, thank you for the help

I don't see how you were able to solve the problem using incorrect pH definition. Can you elaborate?

1. What is the pH of HCl and NaOH combined?

The pH of HCl and NaOH combined depends on the concentrations of each solution. The equation for finding the pH is pH = -log[H+], where [H+] is the hydrogen ion concentration. HCl is a strong acid, so it will completely dissociate in water to produce H+ ions. NaOH is a strong base, so it will completely dissociate to produce OH- ions. When these two solutions are combined, the H+ and OH- ions will neutralize each other to form water. The resulting pH will depend on the concentrations of the H+ and OH- ions in the combined solution.

2. How do I calculate the pH of a solution with both HCl and NaOH?

To calculate the pH of a solution with both HCl and NaOH, you will need to know the concentrations of each solution. You can use the equation pH = -log[H+] to find the pH of the HCl solution and the equation pOH = -log[OH-] to find the pOH of the NaOH solution. Then, use the equation pH + pOH = 14 to find the pH of the combined solution.

3. Can I use a pH meter to measure the pH of a solution with both HCl and NaOH?

Yes, you can use a pH meter to measure the pH of a solution with both HCl and NaOH. However, you will need to make sure that the pH meter is properly calibrated for both acidic and basic solutions. You may also need to dilute the solution if the concentrations of HCl and NaOH are too high for the pH meter to accurately measure.

4. How will the pH change if I add more HCl to a solution with NaOH?

If you add more HCl to a solution with NaOH, the pH will decrease. This is because HCl is a strong acid and will increase the concentration of H+ ions in the solution. As a result, the pH will become more acidic. However, the exact change in pH will depend on the initial concentrations of HCl and NaOH.

5. What happens to the pH if I mix equal amounts of HCl and NaOH?

If you mix equal amounts of HCl and NaOH, the pH will become neutral. This is because the H+ and OH- ions will neutralize each other, resulting in a solution with a pH of 7. This is known as a neutralization reaction. However, if the initial concentrations of HCl and NaOH are not equal, the resulting pH will be different than 7.