How to find the pH of HCl and NaOH combined.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sjm757
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hcl Ph
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Sjm757
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have .100mL of .100M HCl titrated with .100M NaOH, there's a chart I have to fill in and I'm completely lost. I have the volume of NaOH(from 0ml-200ml) I have to find the total volume of the solution, I get that, moles remaining of solution molarity of remaining solution the hydronium ion concentration the OH concentration and the pH


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


0.00mL of NaOH added, so the volume is .01L, the moles remaining would also be .01 because 100mL*.100M HCl, the pH is just -log.01 then, resulting in 2. I don't know how to get the Hydronium ion concentration or concentration of OH, any help is welcome.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I read the water ion product, that would apply to solutions not diluted?
 
It applies to all solutions.

But you should start learning about hydronium and pH. In general pH is NOT minus log of the acid concentration (even if in some specific circumstances it can be calculated this way).
 
I talked to my teacher and he just wanted us to find the pH as the -log way. But I got it, thank you for the help
 
I don't see how you were able to solve the problem using incorrect pH definition. Can you elaborate?