How to find the velocity needed to melt a snowball

• Thread starter TextClick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a snowball being thrown at a stone wall and determining the velocity at which it must be thrown so that it completely melts upon impact. The problem involves using equations such as Q=mCdeltat, Q=mHv, Q=mHf, KE=1/2mv^2, and PE=mgh to find the required velocity. The person originally attempted a solution but was confused and did not know how to proceed, leading them to not do any work. However, they are encouraged to post their attempt so that others can help them become unconfused and arrive at the correct answer. The person marking the quiz provided the correct answer and advised using a variable mass in the solution.
TextClick
Homework Statement
With what velocity must a snowball at 0 C be thrown so that it completely melts upon striking a stone wall? (Assume 75% of the heat generated is absorbed by the snow.)
Relevant Equations
Q=mCdeltat
Q=mHv
Q=mHf
KE=1/2mv^2
PE=mgh
I attempted a solution, but I was unfortunately confused and did not know how to do the problem. As a result, I did not do any work.

Physics news on Phys.org
TextClick said:
Homework Statement:: With what velocity must a snowball at 0 C be thrown so that it completely melts upon striking a stone wall? (Assume 75% of the heat generated is absorbed by the snow.)
Homework Equations:: Q=mCdeltat
Q=mHv
Q=mHf
KE=1/2mv^2
PE=mgh

I attempted a solution, but I was unfortunately confused and did not know how to do the problem. As a result, I did not do any work.
Nevertheless, you need to post an attempt, no matter how confused. That way we may be able to see where you are confused and help you become unconfused.

IMG_7456.jpg

You arrived at an answer, but it is impossible to tell from those few scribbles how you arrived at the required energy. Please post the details of your working , and not as an image. Per forum rules , images are for textbook extracts and diagrams.

Pretty sure you are meant to determine the amount of heat required to melt a unit of snow. That's what the Hf is for. Then you are supposed to find out how fast it must be moving so that 3/4 of it's Ek equals that much.

So you should do the problem with a variable mass, since you don't know what the mass of a snowball is. But the mass should divided out at the end.

It looks like the person who marked this quiz wrote the correct answer for you. They even wrote the equations.

Can you make an attempt?

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity needed to melt a snowball?

The formula for calculating the velocity needed to melt a snowball is v = Q / (m x L), where v is the velocity in meters per second, Q is the energy required to melt the snowball in joules, m is the mass of the snowball in kilograms, and L is the latent heat of fusion for water in joules per kilogram.

2. How do I determine the energy required to melt a snowball?

The energy required to melt a snowball can be determined by multiplying the mass of the snowball by the specific heat capacity of ice (2.108 J/g°C) and the change in temperature from the melting point of ice (0°C) to the desired temperature.

3. What is the typical mass of a snowball?

The mass of a snowball can vary greatly depending on its size and density. On average, a snowball may weigh anywhere from 10 to 100 grams.

4. What is the latent heat of fusion for water?

The latent heat of fusion for water is 334,000 joules per kilogram. This means that it takes 334,000 joules of energy to melt 1 kilogram of ice at 0°C into 1 kilogram of water at 0°C.

5. How does air temperature affect the velocity needed to melt a snowball?

Air temperature can affect the velocity needed to melt a snowball because it can impact the energy required to melt the snowball. Higher air temperatures will require less energy to melt the snowball, so the necessary velocity will be lower. Similarly, colder air temperatures will require more energy and thus a higher velocity to melt the snowball.