How to find work via Force and Time

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy required to hold an object, specifically a sack of potatoes. The initial question was about the energy required to hold the potatoes for 3 minutes, with a given force of 45N. One answer suggested that if the potatoes are not being moved, then it would take zero energy. However, another answer pointed out that the energy required depends on how the potatoes are being held. The conversation ends with a suggestion to refer to a related thread for further clarification.
JRC03
Homework Statement
How much work is done in holding a 45 N sack of potatoes while waiting in line at the grocery store for 3 minutes?
Relevant Equations
W=F*D, F=W/D, D=W/F
So I can across this question in class and there were a multitude of answers, such as 0 work (J), my answer was 8100J based on the fact it doesn't tell you any distance moved, just that its 45N for 3 minutes, so my logic was 45N per second so 45*3(60)=8100J

Physics news on Phys.org
JRC03 said:
45N per second
No, it is 45N, not 45N/s. N/s would not be a valid unit for a force.
And why would it be per second? Why not 45N/hour?

How much energy you use in holding something depends very much on how you hold it. As Berkeman notes, there is energy required just to keep muscles tense. But you have been given no information on that, so I think you are meant to treat it the same as if the potatoes were tied around your waist, i.e. no tensing required.

What is force and time?

Force and time are two fundamental physical quantities that are used to describe the motion of objects. Force is the push or pull exerted on an object, while time is the duration of an event or action.

How can force and time be used to find work?

Force and time can be used in the context of work as defined in physics, which is the product of force and displacement. Work is a measure of the energy transferred to or from an object by a force acting on it over a certain distance.

What is the equation for work in terms of force and displacement?

The equation for work is W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement. This means that in order to find work, you need to know the force acting on an object and the distance the object has traveled due to that force.

How can force and time be used to find the power of an object?

Power is a measure of how quickly work is done. It can be calculated by dividing the work done by the time taken to do that work. In terms of force and time, power can be calculated as P = W / t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time.

What are some real-world applications of using force and time to find work?

There are many real-world applications of using force and time to find work. For example, engineers use force and time calculations to design and build structures such as bridges and buildings. Athletes also use force and time calculations to improve their performance by understanding the amount of work they are doing during training. In addition, force and time are used in the fields of mechanics, physics, and other sciences to study and understand the behavior of objects.