How to find work from mass, friction given?

In summary, a child drags a 25-kg box at a constant speed of 14.0 m across a lawn and 36 m along a sidewalk, with coefficients of friction of 0.25 and 0.55, respectively. The child does 87.5J of work on the box on the grass and 4851J of work on the box on the sidewalk. The total work done by the child on the box is 4941.5J.
Sneakatone
a Child drags a 25-kg box at a constant speed across a lawn for 14.0 m and along a sidewalk for 36 m; the coefficient of friction is 0.25 for the first part of the trip and 0.55 for the second. If the child always pulls horizontally, how much work does the child do on the box?I know that Work= force*distance but how would I find these variables?
idk if this works but I can do 25kg * 9.81=245 as force

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: The child is doing work by pulling against the frictional force on the box. Do you know how to calculate this force?

That is a relevant force yes, but it is acting only in y, and is canceled out by the normal force.

First. Draw a free body diagram. What is the free body? What forces are acting on this free body?

Hint: How much force does it take to overcome the friction in each individual part of the trip?

245 n *0.25=61.25n

Good, now what?

we have to find the distance , I don't suppose we add 14 + 36=50m for the distance, do we?

is the 55 sec relavent in this problem?

Sneakatone said:
we have to find the distance , I don't suppose we add 14 + 36=50m for the distance, do we?
Not quite, you have two different surfaces. Each with a different coeffecient of friction.
Sneakatone said:
is the 55 sec relavent in this problem?
I believe that is .55 for the coefficient of friction for the sidewalk.

1st part)25*.25*14=87.5J
2nd part) 25*.55*36=495J

Sneakatone said:
1st part)25*.25*14=87.5J
2nd part) 25*.55*36=495J
You're missing something. What are you multiplying? You found the force needed to move across the grass here:
Sneakatone said:
245 n *0.25=61.25n
Yet, you just threw that value to the wind and multiplied 3 values together.

You know that W=FDcosθ. And you know the the displacement. So what now?

*where theta is the angle between the Applied force and the displacement. (In this case 0, cos0=1.)*

245N*0.25*14m=857.5J
245N*0.55*36m=4851

I added them both and it was correct, Thank you!

Nice! Just keep in mind that Force and Displacement are vectors. Work isn't just F times D. It's F times D times the cos of the angle between them. In nice situations the angle is 0. But in some cases, the there will be an angle between them, and then it can get a little tricky!

1. How do mass and friction affect finding work?

Mass and friction both play important roles in determining the amount of work that can be done. Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object and friction is the force that opposes motion. The greater the mass and friction, the more work is required to overcome them.

2. What is the formula for calculating work from mass and friction?

The formula for calculating work is W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. Mass and friction can be incorporated into the calculation of force, so the formula for work from mass and friction is W = mad.

3. How can I increase the effectiveness of my work with mass and friction?

To increase the effectiveness of work with mass and friction, you can decrease the mass of the object or decrease the amount of friction. This can be achieved through using lubrication, reducing surface area, or increasing the smoothness of surfaces.

4. What are some examples of work involving mass and friction?

Examples of work involving mass and friction include pushing a heavy object across a rough surface, lifting a weighted object, or pedaling a bicycle against the force of friction from the ground.

5. How can I use my understanding of mass and friction to optimize my work?

Understanding the effects of mass and friction can help you optimize your work by identifying areas where you can reduce mass or friction to make the task easier. It can also help you choose the most efficient approach to completing a task, such as using a ramp to reduce the force needed to lift an object.