What happens to the energy when you are holding a book?

• B
  • Thread starter ali PMPAINT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Energy
In summary, when holding a book without moving, the chemical energy in your body is converted into heat energy as your body releases it through breath and sweat. This accounts for the "lost" energy and is the same for all forms of energy involved in this scenario.
ali PMPAINT
TL;DR Summary
About the conservation of energy.
So, when you are holding a book by your hand, and not moving, you are using chemical energy(correct me if I am wrong), but neither does the potential energy increase, nor does the kinetic energy, so what happens to the chemical energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens to all energy that gets "lost"?

Likes vanhees71, davenn and ali PMPAINT
Ibix said:
What happens to all energy that gets "lost"?
Yes.

• Wow
Likes weirdoguy
ali PMPAINT said:
Yes.
That was a question, not a statement. Pretty much all lost energy becomes the same thing. Do you know what it is?

Likes Ibix
ali PMPAINT said:
Yes.
As Russ says, I was asking if you know what happens to all "lost" energy, not confirming your question's intent.

There are four kinds of energy involved here- kinetic energy, potential energy, chemical energy and heat energy. As long as the book remains steady at a constant height, the kinetic energy is zero and the potential energy is constant. Chemical energy is produced in your body, particularly in your muscles. That goes into heat energy which your body releases in your breath and sweat.

Likes ali PMPAINT
Ibix said:
As Russ says, I was asking if you know what happens to all "lost" energy, not confirming your question's intent.
Oh, sorry, no I didn't know until now.

1. What is the source of energy in a book?

The energy in a book comes from the chemical bonds between the molecules that make up the pages and cover. These bonds were formed during the process of photosynthesis, where plants convert sunlight into chemical energy.

2. Why does a book feel heavy when I hold it?

The feeling of weight in a book is due to the force of gravity acting on its mass. The book's mass is a measure of the amount of matter it contains, and gravity pulls on this mass, resulting in the sensation of weight when holding it.

3. Does the energy in a book change when I hold it?

No, the energy in a book does not change when you hold it. The book's energy is stored in its chemical bonds and is not affected by external forces, such as being held by a person.

4. What happens to the energy when I set the book down?

The energy in the book remains the same when you set it down. However, the book's potential energy changes as it moves from a higher position (when you were holding it) to a lower position (when it is set down). This potential energy can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, if the book falls to the ground.

5. Can I measure the energy in a book?

Yes, the energy in a book can be measured using various methods, such as calorimetry or thermodynamics. However, the amount of energy in a book is relatively small compared to other objects, so it may be challenging to measure accurately.