How to fire one electron at a time

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of building a device that can shoot one electron at a time, which is necessary for the double slit experiment. The method suggested is to reduce the intensity of the electron stream from a device that already shoots a stream of electrons. This can be achieved by reducing the temperature of the filament or using a photoelectric element pulsed with a narrow-width pulse from a light emitting diode. The end goal is to create a situation where there is only one electron present at a time in the apparatus, similar to a Poisson Distribution.
Four
How? I've been looking but the only thing I get is the double slit experiment.

How do you build a device that shoots one electron at a time? I know how to build a device that shoots a whole stream of electrons. But 1 at a time! How is it possible to get to such high granularity?

Physics news on Phys.org
You just take your device that shoots a stream of electrons and reduce the intensity of the stream so that the electrons are far apart. For example, if I have a filament that is emitting 10^6 electrons/second, I can reduce the temperature of the filament, and the rate of electron emission will be reduced. Suppose the size of my apparatus and the speed of my electrons is such that it takes 1 millisecond to travel from the filament to the detector. If I reduce the rate of electron emission to 1 electron/second, then the vast majority of the time there will be only one electron at a time present in my apparatus.

As was said, basically reduce your intensity until you've got something like a Poisson Distribution.

How about a photoelectric element pulsed with a narrow-width pulse from a light emitting diode. Just the first thing that came to mind.

Turning down the power to a filament makes me picture trying to get one molecule of steam off of a warm container of water.

DC

1. How can one control the firing of just one electron at a time?

The firing of one electron at a time can be controlled using a device called a single electron transistor (SET). This device is composed of a small island of conducting material connected to two leads by tunnel junctions. By applying a voltage to the leads, the single electron can be trapped on the island and then released one at a time.

2. What is the purpose of firing one electron at a time?

Firing one electron at a time allows scientists to study the behavior and properties of individual electrons, which can provide valuable insights into the workings of matter and the fundamental laws of physics.

3. How is the firing of one electron at a time achieved?

To achieve firing of one electron at a time, a high voltage is applied to the SET device, causing the electrons to tunnel through the junction and onto the island one at a time. The voltage can then be lowered to release the electron and reset the device for the next firing.

4. What are some potential applications of firing one electron at a time?

The ability to control and study individual electrons has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, nanotechnology, and advanced materials research. It can also aid in the development of more efficient electronic devices and technologies.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to firing one electron at a time?

One challenge in firing one electron at a time is the sensitivity of the SET device to external noise and interference, which can disrupt the controlled firing process. Additionally, the firing success rate may be low, making it difficult to consistently fire a single electron at a time. Improvements in technology and techniques are continually being developed to overcome these challenges.