Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to formalize this unary operation?

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    Hello,
    I have two commutative groups [tex](G,\circ, I_\circ)[/tex] and [tex](G,\bullet,I_\bullet)[/tex], and I defined an isomorphism [tex]f[/tex] between them: so we have [tex]f(u \circ v)=f(u) \bullet f(v)[/tex]

How can I formalize the fact that I want also an unary operation [tex]\ast : G \rightarrow G[/tex] which is preserved by the isomorphism? namely, an unary operation such that [tex]f(u^{\ast}) = f(u)^{\ast}[/tex] ?

Is it possible somehow to embed the unary operation into the group in order to form an already-known algebraic structure? or it is just not possible to formalize it better than I already did?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know if there is a special name for "groups with an additional unary operation", but any homomorphism [itex](G,\circ,\star,1) \to (H, \bullet, *, i)[/itex] of "groups with an additional unary operation" should indeed satisfy [itex]f(x^\star) = f(x)^*[/itex].

For a theoretical sledgehammer, "groups with an additional unary operation" are an example of a universal algebra, just like groups, rings, and vector spaces over R are. (But not fields!)

4. Mar 3, 2009 #3
    Thanks hurkyl!
    your explanation was clear and indeed, if I understood correctly, what I wanted to create is essentially an isomorphism between two (universal) algebras of signature (2,1,1,0).

In fact, from an universal-algebraic point of view, a group has three operation: one binary associative (arity=2), one inverse (arity=1), and the identity element (arity=0); when I include another unary operation of arity=1, we have (2,1,1,0) signature.

And since the homomorphic property [tex]f(u \bullet_A v)=f(u) \bullet_B f(v)[/tex] must be satisfied for every operation of n-arity, we get exactly what I wanted.

Was that correct?

5. Mar 3, 2009 #4
    a further question to add to what has been already discussed:

let's say I have this "group with an additional unary operation" [tex](G,\ast, I,\\ ^{-1},\\')[/tex]

which we call [tex]':G \rightarrow G[/tex]

how can I formalize in terms of universal-algebras that for a subset [tex]S \subseteq G[/tex] we always have:

[tex]\forall u \in S, \\\ u'=u[/tex]

As far as I understood when I'm defining a universal-algebra I cannot make any statement involving [tex]\forall, \in, \exists [/tex] and stuff like that, because one must use only operators of n-arity.
    Do I really need to introduce a nullary-operator for each element in S and do something like this:

[tex]u' \ast k_1 = u[/tex]
    [tex]u' \ast k_2 = u[/tex]

[tex]\ldots[/tex]

[tex]u' \ast\ k_n = u[/tex]

What if those elements are infinite?
    what the signature of this algebra would be?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook