How to get into a top graduate school from an unknown university?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 7K views
Phys12 said:
That's absolutely true and I agree 100%. I watched a video a while back which researched the top universities' students vs. not-so-top universities' students and searched for how many publications they had. It turned out the top students at a lower ranked university had more publications than the mid-level or bottom level students at top universities. So I guess it really is important how competitive your peers are and it makes perfect sense to me that it'd be much better and more helpful if I could get an edge over others in that respect.

Be careful that you are only comparing universities with a graduate program. A lot of not-so-top universities do not have graduate students, so it makes sense that undergraduates are coauthors on papers more frequently.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Dishsoap said:
Be careful that you are only comparing universities with a graduate program. A lot of not-so-top universities do not have graduate students, so it makes sense that undergraduates are coauthors on papers more frequently.
Oh no, in that particular research, they looked at only research institutes, there were no liberal arts colleges. And they were comparing SAT scores VS publications.