How to get rid of callus on heel

• Medical
  • Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
In summary, the individual has a small callus on their right foot that has been present for a few years. They believe it may be caused by driving and have tried driving without shoes and adjusting the tightness of their shoes, but the callus has not gone away. They are seeking advice on how to prevent their heel from rubbing against their shoe and potentially using products such as Wikihow or second skin to protect the callus. However, they are advised to see a doctor for a proper diagnosis and medical advice.
leroyjenkens
On my right foot, there's a small callus with redness extending a millimeter or so around it, and it's been like that for a few years now. I don't know what's causing it, but I have some ideas. I think it may be partly from driving. I drive with my heel touching the back of my shoe, and since I don't have cruise control, I have to keep my foot like that for 20 minutes or so on my way to work and back every day. I tried driving with no shoes on, but that didn't seem to make the redness and callus go away over a several month period of time, so something else must be contributing to it as well. I tried tightening my shoe so that my heel doesn't slide on the back of my shoe when I walk, but it always seems to slide a little. I tried making it loose, but then it still slides against the back of the shoe. I have to wear shoes at work, so I was thinking maybe there's some kind of thing I could put in the back of my shoe to let my heel heal. I figure if I can keep anything from rubbing against it for a few months, it'll finally heal. Any ideas on what I could do to my shoe to stop my heel from rubbing against anything.
Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
There's also second skin. It's akind f tape that hikers use to protect against.

http://www.theinsolestore.com/spenco-medical-2nd-skin-blister-kits.html?zmam=92453369&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=49-106-00&gclid=COODypOlq8MCFQGDaQod7K4AvA

We cannot diagnose you or give medical advice. Please see a doctor.

for sharing your experience with the callus on your heel. It sounds like you have already tried a few different solutions to alleviate the issue, but have not found a long-term solution. I would recommend consulting with a medical professional, such as a podiatrist or dermatologist, to properly diagnose the cause of the callus and develop a treatment plan.

In the meantime, here are a few potential explanations for the callus and some suggestions to help prevent it from getting worse:

1. Friction: Constant rubbing and pressure on the heel can cause the skin to thicken and form a callus. This could be from your driving position, as you mentioned, or from the shoes you wear at work. To reduce friction, you could try wearing shoes with a softer, more cushioned heel, or using a heel pad or cushion in your shoes.

2. Poorly fitting shoes: Ill-fitting shoes can cause rubbing and pressure on certain areas of the foot, leading to calluses. You may want to consider getting properly fitted for shoes, or trying different styles that put less pressure on your heel.

3. Medical conditions: Certain medical conditions, such as plantar fasciitis or diabetes, can also contribute to the formation of calluses. If you have any underlying health conditions, it is important to address them in order to effectively treat the callus.

4. Overexertion: If you are on your feet for extended periods of time, this can also contribute to the formation of calluses. Make sure to take breaks and rest your feet throughout the day, and consider using shoe inserts or orthotics to provide additional support and cushioning.

In addition to these suggestions, I would also recommend regularly exfoliating and moisturizing the affected area to help soften the callus. If you continue to experience discomfort or the callus does not improve, it is best to seek professional medical advice for a personalized treatment plan.

1. How do I know if I have a callus on my heel?

Calluses on the heel appear as hard, thickened areas of skin. They may also be yellow or gray in color. You may feel tenderness or pain when pressure is applied to the callus. If you are unsure, it is best to consult a doctor for a proper diagnosis.

2. What causes calluses on the heel?

Calluses on the heel are caused by repeated friction and pressure. This can be due to ill-fitting shoes, walking barefoot, or participating in activities that put pressure on the heel. People with foot deformities or conditions such as flat feet or high arches are also more prone to developing calluses.

3. Can I get rid of calluses on my heel at home?

In most cases, yes. Soaking your feet in warm water and using a pumice stone or foot file to gently rub away the dead skin can help reduce the size of the callus. It is important to not overdo it and to moisturize the area afterwards. If the callus is causing pain or discomfort, it is best to seek professional help.

4. Are there any home remedies for treating calluses on the heel?

In addition to soaking and exfoliating, there are a few natural remedies you can try. Applying lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, or aloe vera gel to the callus can help soften and reduce its size. You can also try using a foot cream with salicylic acid, which can help dissolve the dead skin.

5. How can I prevent calluses from forming on my heel?

The best way to prevent calluses on the heel is to wear properly fitting shoes with good arch support. Avoid walking barefoot on hard surfaces and make sure to moisturize your feet regularly. If you have foot deformities or conditions, using orthotic inserts or custom-made shoes may also help prevent calluses.