1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get the magnitude and direction?

1. Feb 10, 2015 #1
    A bomb is released from an airplane flying horizontally at an elevation 1600 ft with a velocity of 294 ft/s.

I dont know how to get the magnitude. Will you please help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The magnitude of what?

4. Feb 10, 2015 #3
    The magnitude of its velocity just before striking

5. Feb 10, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a HW type problem. I have moved it to the Introductory Physics HW forum.

You should state the appropriate formulas for solving this problem and show an attempt at a solution.

What do you know about projectile motion?

6. Feb 10, 2015 #5
    We only tackled this lesson yesterday and i only remembered that this is of course a straight line motion with two kinds of motion: vertical and horizontal. The formulas for vertical are: Vy=gt, h=1/2 g(t)squared and t=Vy/g. And for horizontal are: Vi=Vx and r=Vxt.

My question a while ago is my teacher's first example so i dont have any idea of what i will going to use even he already taught the formulas.

7. Feb 10, 2015 #6
    Maybe that the formula for the magnitude will be derived from the main formulas but i dont know where's the magnitude in that formulas

8. Feb 10, 2015 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got to calculate the vertical and horizontal velocities of the bomb when it strikes the ground before you can worry about the magnitude of anything. ;)

9. Feb 10, 2015 #8
    You have to be well versed with vector. I advise you learn as much about vector as to solve problem as this and others involving displacement, velocity, acceleration and others.

10. Feb 10, 2015 #9

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

How do you find the magnitude of a vector, in general, when you know the x and y components?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted