How to get the residue of this funciton at z=i

  • Thread starter Thread starter justin_huang
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Residue
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
justin_huang
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



f(z)=cot(pi*z)/(z^2+1)

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


now I want to get the residue at z=i, I know the definition of f(z)'s residue form
but when I try to get the expansion of cot(pi*z) at z=i, I used a lot of method
like use sin*csc this form but due to the reason I cannot get the expansion of csc(A+B)
i CANNOT get the result

Could you tell me the formula of csc(A+B) or other more easier method to figure this problem? thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
cot = cotangent = cos / sin. I don't know why you are using csc = cosecant = 1 / sin
 
SteamKing said:
cot = cotangent = cos / sin. I don't know why you are using csc = cosecant = 1 / sin

cause i need to get the multiplication of two polynomial not division
 
justin_huang said:
cause i need to get the multiplication of two polynomial not division

You don't have to expand cot(pi*z) at z=i. cot(pi*z) is analytic at z=i, it has a perfectly well defined limit there. The singularity is only in the denominator.
 
Dick said:
You don't have to expand cot(pi*z) at z=i. cot(pi*z) is analytic at z=i, it has a perfectly well defined limit there. The singularity is only in the denominator.

I got it... thanks so much