1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to graph potential energy for 2 atoms in diatomic molecule w/ 3 unknowns

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The potential energy of two atoms in a diatomic molecule is approximated by

U(r)=a/r^12 - b/r^6,

where r is the spacing between the atoms and a and b are positive constants.

Find the force F(r) on one atom as a function of r.

Make two graphs one of U(r) versus r and one of F(r) versus r.

2. Relevant equations

F(r) = -(dU/dr)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know F(r) = -(dU/dr).

So, F(r) = (12a/r^13) - (6b/r^7)

And then I get stuck. I don't know how to make a plot of U(r) vs r and F(r) vs r when I don't know a and b.

I want to plug values of r=[0.1, 0.2, 0.3, ...] into the F(r) equation, but I have no idea what to do about a and b.

This question has been asked before on this forum and I have looked at the hints, but I am still completely lost.

Could someone please get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2011 #2
    So I figured out that U(r) = a/r^12 - b/r^6 is a simplified version of the Lennard-Jones potential and I know what the graph looks like now, but I still don't understand how you get it. I am so lost. Could someone please explain. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook