How to handle groupwork, and papers

• Thread starter Scott Vidicik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Papers
In summary, the conversation discusses concerns about a portfolio-based grading system and how to ensure group members contribute equally. The advice given includes getting to know classmates, documenting individual work, and being prepared in case a group member does not fulfill their responsibilities. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the importance of taking on a leadership role in group projects.
Scott Vidicik
Hey,

I'm considering doing a few subjects in a field I like, but the fact that a portfolio based on lectures and group based student works like lecturer, presentations and project work is basis for the grade kinda worries me.

How do I ensure that my fellow students are gonne pull their load? These are students I don't have any previous experience or knowledge about.

What I'm really looking for is advice on how to approach these kind of assessment criterias.

Physics news on Phys.org
Scott Vidicik said:
How do I ensure that my fellow students are gonne pull their load? These are students I don't have any previous experience or knowledge about.
If you get to pick your own partners, get to know your classmates and ask around.

What I'm really looking for is advice on how to approach these kind of assessment criterias.
Document everything and make sure to show that you completed your part of the assignment and at the end of the day you may have to do the entire project yourself 'cause the professor won't care that your partner flaked and that's part of the learning process too.

Last edited:
The best advice I can give is to CYOA. Just last semester I ended up losing a bunch of points on a group project because my group turned it in without my name on it and the professor essentially told me "too bad". It annoyed me, and still does annoy me, but it was a learning experience.

Scott Vidicik said:

You don't. That's why you gain leadership experience when you work in a group.

Thanks a lot for your advice!

1. How can I effectively manage groupwork?

To effectively manage groupwork, it's important to establish clear roles and responsibilities for each member of the group. Make sure to set clear deadlines and communicate regularly with your group members to ensure everyone is on the same page. It can also be helpful to have a designated leader or facilitator to keep the group on track and address any issues that may arise.

2. What should I do if a group member is not pulling their weight?

If a group member is not contributing their fair share, it's important to address the issue early on. Start by having an open and honest conversation with the group member and try to understand their perspective. If the issue persists, consider involving the professor or seeking assistance from a mediator to help resolve conflicts.

3. How can we ensure everyone's ideas are heard and considered?

To ensure everyone's ideas are heard and considered, it's important to establish a culture of open communication and respect within the group. Encourage all group members to actively participate and listen to each other's ideas without judgment. It can also be helpful to have a designated brainstorming session where all ideas are welcomed and discussed before making any decisions.

4. What are some tips for writing a group paper?

When writing a group paper, it's important to start by clearly defining the topic and outline together as a group. Make sure to divide the work evenly and establish a timeline for completing each section. It's also crucial to proofread and edit the paper together as a group to ensure consistency and quality.

5. How can we handle conflicts within the group?

Conflicts within a group are inevitable, but they can be effectively managed through open communication and respect. Encourage all group members to express their concerns and perspectives, and work together to find a solution that satisfies everyone. If conflicts become too difficult to resolve, seek assistance from a mediator or involve the professor for guidance.