1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to handle groupwork, and papers

1. Mar 17, 2010 #1
    Hey,

I'm considering doing a few subjects in a field I like, but the fact that a portfolio based on lectures and group based student works like lecturer, presentations and project work is basis for the grade kinda worries me.

How do I ensure that my fellow students are gonne pull their load? These are students I dont have any previous experience or knowledge about.

What I'm really looking for is advice on how to approach these kind of assessment criterias.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2010 #2
    If you get to pick your own partners, get to know your classmates and ask around.

Document everything and make sure to show that you completed your part of the assignment and at the end of the day you may have to do the entire project yourself 'cause the professor won't care that your partner flaked and that's part of the learning process too.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  4. Mar 17, 2010 #3
    The best advice I can give is to CYOA. Just last semester I ended up losing a bunch of points on a group project because my group turned it in without my name on it and the professor essentially told me "too bad". It annoyed me, and still does annoy me, but it was a learning experience.

5. Mar 17, 2010 #4
    You don't. That's why you gain leadership experience when you work in a group.

6. Mar 18, 2010 #5
    Thanks a lot for your advice!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook