How to handle squares of delta distributions

In summary, my problem is that I don't know how to solve for ##\delta## in the equation for the distribution of the deltas, and I'm not sure if I should use ##\delta^2(y)## or something else. I also looked at a older topic where someone suggested replacing the deltas with a smeared out function, and I think that might work.
Bartolius

Homework Statement

I have to write equations of motion for a field, namely ## A ##.
The full action has actually three terms, but my problem is with a part of the action reading:

$$ S =\int d^{10}x \sqrt{-g} [ f(x_1, ... , x_{10}) + \delta (y) A ]^2 $$

In the 10 x's there is of course the coordinate called y. Also I omitted various irrelevant numerical factors.

Homework Equations

My problem is that the product of ## \delta ##'s , in particular ## [\delta (y)]^2 ## is not defined for they are distributions and not simple functions, so I don't actually know how to write down my equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only idea I have right now is to replace the deltas with something approaching the delta in a certain limit and then take the limit at the end of the calculations, but having done some research on the internet it seems to turn out that the result would be dependent on my choice of the function approaching delta. I can recall having found a similar problem in one of my first courses on QFT, but can't recall how it was solved. However it seems a rather common problem, so I hope that someone here already has a solution and can lead me to find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you go ahead and vary the functional anyway, does ## \delta(x)^2 ## show up inside the resulting integral?

Yes because I have to differentiate on ## A ##, so there is actually no reason for the ## \delta (y) ## to disappear.
Also, I would like to use the ## \delta ## whenever I have them to integrate away the y coordinate, for the other terms of the action are 9 dimensional (the field ## A ## lives on a 9-dimensional space embedded in a 10 dimensional one)

You will look at the variations ##\delta S##

Doesn't this mean you can look at

##\delta S = \int d^{10} x \delta \sqrt{-g}\left[ f(x_1, \ldots, x_{10}) +\delta(y)A\right]^2 +2 \int d^{10} x \sqrt{-g} \delta\left[ f(x_1, \ldots, x_{10}) +\delta(y)A\right]##

Now for the Equations of Motion for the field A you find them by using the functional derivative ##\frac{\delta S}{\delta A} = 0##
To me it seems that in that case only a factor ##\delta(y)## remains because of the remark above.

Of course you'll need to flesh out the details.

Another thing I've read a little bit about is that sometimes delta-distributions get replaced by smeared out functions.

ok, maybe I was doing the calculations too fast, I'll check later, thank you! as for the smeared out function: yes it was the starting point of the calculation, the delta distribution was smeared out on a circle (the directions y and z combine to give a subspace with a circle as a boundary) but most of the papers I am using just use the localized version, so it turns out easier to carry the confrontation between the results I obtain and the ones already found by others.

JorisL said:
You will look at the variations ##\delta S##

Doesn't this mean you can look at

##\delta S = \int d^{10} x \delta \sqrt{-g}\left[ f(x_1, \ldots, x_{10}) +\delta(y)A\right]^2 +2 \int d^{10} x \sqrt{-g} \delta\left[ f(x_1, \ldots, x_{10}) +\delta(y)A\right]##

Now for the Equations of Motion for the field A you find them by using the functional derivative ##\frac{\delta S}{\delta A} = 0##
To me it seems that in that case only a factor ##\delta(y)## remains because of the remark above.

Didn't you leave a factor in the second part of the variation? shouldn't it be
$$ \delta S = \int d^{10} x \delta \sqrt{-g}\left[ f(x_1, \ldots, x_{10}) +\delta(y)A\right]^2 +2 \int d^{10} x \sqrt{-g} \left[ f(x_1, \ldots, x_{10}) +\delta(y)A\right]\delta\left[ f(x_1, \ldots, x_{10}) +\delta(y)A\right]$$

since it should be $$ \delta(F^2) = 2F\delta F $$

1. What are delta distributions?

Delta distributions, also known as Dirac delta distributions, are mathematical objects used in the field of calculus to describe point masses or impulses. They are not functions in the traditional sense, but rather generalized functions that have a value of zero everywhere except at a specific point.

2. How do you handle squares of delta distributions?

Handling squares of delta distributions involves applying the rules of distribution and integration. This means that you can distribute the square to each term within the delta distribution and then integrate each term separately. However, it is important to note that the resulting expression may not always have a well-defined value.

3. Can you multiply delta distributions?

No, delta distributions cannot be multiplied in the traditional sense. This is because they are not functions and do not have a well-defined value at every point. However, they can be multiplied by other functions or constants, and the resulting expression can be integrated.

4. How are delta distributions used in science?

Delta distributions are commonly used in physics and engineering to model point masses or impulses in physical systems. They are also used in signal processing to represent signals and noises at specific points in time.

5. Are there any limitations to using delta distributions?

Yes, there are limitations to using delta distributions. They are not always well-defined and can lead to undefined or infinite values when integrated. Additionally, they cannot be multiplied or differentiated in the traditional sense, which can make certain calculations more complicated.