How to increase interest in ASME

In summary, ASME is becoming less relevant to younger generations due to other organizations on campus that offer more opportunities for students. The best way to increase interest may be to organize recruiting trips to local companies.
ehilge
I'm hoping this is a good place to start with this question. I'm the incoming president of my university's ASME branch and I want to find unique ways to increase interest. Maybe I'm being to idealistic, but I feel like the organization has seen quite a drop off in interest in the last few years and is becoming irrelevant except for its name. I know plenty of students who just pay the dues and don't show up for anything to have it on their resume. Last year we had quite a bit of dfficulty in filling our officer positions. I am fairly certain that all to often the only reason people come to our monthly meetings is for free food. We always have speakers at our meetings, often a professor talking about his research or something like that. We try to do tours of local industries and regular social events. We've also sponsored design-build programs every year but hardly anyone shows any interest anymore. Part of this could be because a lot of upperclassmen are involved in research and there are a couple of other large design build organizations on campus (mini-baja, SAE formula). So those draw students away from the ASME projects.

So, I'm looking for any sort of ideas to increase interest in the organization and get students to want to come. Particularly, I want to get a group of younger guys excited about the organization. So please, let me know if you have any ideas. Things we could do during the meetings? other events? I'm open to just about any suggestion.

Physics news on Phys.org
ehilge said:
I'm hoping this is a good place to start with this question. I'm the incoming president of my university's ASME branch and I want to find unique ways to increase interest. Maybe I'm being to idealistic, but I feel like the organization has seen quite a drop off in interest in the last few years and is becoming irrelevant except for its name. I know plenty of students who just pay the dues and don't show up for anything to have it on their resume. Last year we had quite a bit of dfficulty in filling our officer positions. I am fairly certain that all to often the only reason people come to our monthly meetings is for free food. We always have speakers at our meetings, often a professor talking about his research or something like that. We try to do tours of local industries and regular social events. We've also sponsored design-build programs every year but hardly anyone shows any interest anymore. Part of this could be because a lot of upperclassmen are involved in research and there are a couple of other large design build organizations on campus (mini-baja, SAE formula). So those draw students away from the ASME projects.

So, I'm looking for any sort of ideas to increase interest in the organization and get students to want to come. Particularly, I want to get a group of younger guys excited about the organization. So please, let me know if you have any ideas. Things we could do during the meetings? other events? I'm open to just about any suggestion.

I was the chairperson of our IEEE student chapter my senior year of undergrad, and faced a similar situation. One of the best things we did was to organize a couple of field trips to large semi-local EE companies, to tour their facilities and see how their engineers worked. The companies paid for the bus and refreshments, because it was a recruiting tool for them. And it was very popular with the IEEE members, because they got to see real-life work in progress, and get recruited by the companies.

You might look for local ME-type companies that would be interested in giving your group a tour. If you have them local enough, you wouldn't need to work out the bus funding part.

I have just recently changed jobs and looked into jioning ASME. I was previously part of ASABE and really liked the organization. I found that there was a huge stumbling block when I went to try to find information on standards. At ASABE we were allowed access to standards as part of our membership fees. We could then download and print standards after finding the correct ones. At ASME if you do not know the correct standard and are searching for it, you might have to buy the standard to make sure it is the correct one. As a new part of a small company this does not work. This too me and several of others in my linkedin group this is a stumbling block for us to jion.

1. How can I get involved with ASME?

There are many ways to get involved with ASME, including joining a local chapter, attending events and workshops, and participating in online forums and discussions. You can also consider becoming a volunteer or mentor for ASME programs and initiatives.

2. What benefits does ASME offer its members?

ASME offers a variety of benefits for its members, including access to technical resources and publications, networking opportunities, career development resources, and discounts on events and certifications. Members also have the opportunity to contribute to the advancement of engineering and technology through ASME's committees and initiatives.

3. How can I increase my knowledge and skills through ASME?

ASME offers a wide range of resources for professional development, including online courses, webinars, and workshops. Members also have access to technical journals, publications, and conferences to stay up-to-date on the latest advancements and best practices in engineering and technology.

4. How can I promote ASME to my colleagues and peers?

You can promote ASME by sharing your own positive experiences and involvement with the organization. You can also encourage your colleagues and peers to attend ASME events and join a local chapter. Additionally, you can share information and resources from ASME's website and social media channels.

5. How can I contribute to increasing diversity and inclusivity in ASME?

ASME values diversity and inclusivity and offers a variety of programs and initiatives to promote these values within the organization and the engineering community. You can contribute by participating in these programs, volunteering to mentor underrepresented individuals in the field, and advocating for diversity and inclusivity in your workplace and professional networks.