How to find an interesting research problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a PhD student's interests in particle accelerators and their desire to do more research on new physics ideas rather than focusing on machine design. They ask for advice on finding an interesting research topic and doing a good job. The suggested solutions include talking to other researchers in the college, researching department websites, and speaking with other PhD students and post-docs from different areas.
ZhaoT
Hello,every one

I am now a Phd student on particle accelerators in China. My tutor's interest is on more engineering things like machine design and running, but I'm tired of arranging magnets. I want to do more research on new physics ideas instead of becoming one doing machine designs.
So, How could I find an interesting research topic, and do a good job?
Could someone give me advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
As a PhD student you are usually expected to be helping another researcher with whatever they are doing.
You need to talk to the researchers in your college, look through college publications to see who is doing what ... i.e. you need to research.
You will probably find the various department web sites are helpful.

Also talk to other PhD students and post-docs from other areas if you can.
Most people are pretty keen to talk about their research.

1. What makes a research problem interesting?

An interesting research problem is one that addresses a gap in current knowledge, challenges existing theories or assumptions, and has the potential to make a significant impact in the field. It should also be relevant and timely, and have the potential to spark further research.

2. How can I find a research problem that is unique?

Finding a unique research problem can be challenging, but one approach is to review current literature and identify areas that have not been extensively studied or have conflicting findings. You can also consult with colleagues or experts in the field to get their perspectives on potential research problems.

3. What sources can I use to find research problems?

Some common sources for finding research problems include academic journals, conferences, and research grant proposals. You can also look for inspiration in current events, societal issues, and personal experiences.

4. How can I ensure that my research problem is feasible?

To ensure feasibility, it is important to consider the available resources and time constraints for your research. Consult with your peers or mentors to get their feedback and insights, and conduct a pilot study to test the feasibility of your research problem.

5. Can I change my research problem after starting my research?

It is not uncommon for researchers to modify their research problem as they proceed with their study. If you find that your initial research problem is not feasible or is not leading to meaningful results, it is acceptable to make changes. However, it is important to consult with your advisor and obtain necessary approvals before making any significant changes to your research problem.