Interesting topics for undergraduate astrophysics research?

In summary, the speaker is planning to start their own year-long undergraduate research project in the fall. They have access to three telescopes through their university and are interested in studying exoplanets, variable stars, and black holes. They express a desire to contribute to the astro community and are open to exploring new fields or topics. They also mention their interest in studying magnetic fields around exoplanets and suggest reviewing/expanding existing research on the topic.
Bristlethorn
Starting in the fall of this year, I'm going to get to start my own year-long undergraduate research project.
To summarize as briefly as possible:

Resources Available:
Our university has access to the SMARTS consortium's three telescopes:
- 1.5m CHIRON telescope
- 1.3m ANDICAM telescope
- 0.9m 2KCCD telescope

Current Fields of Interest:
I'm mainly interested in exoplanets, variable stars, and black holes.

I do have one key wish though, and it's that I'd really like to do something that adds value to the astro community, as opposed to "Let's look at a star that's already been looked at before, and make sure the data we already have is correct." If there are fields or topics out there that would allow me to do so, I'd definitely be open to looking at them.
Any and all feedback, ideas, and/or criticism is welcome.

Thanks in advance!
-Bristlethorn

Likes 1oldman2
Physics news on Phys.org
Magnets.

I say that facetiously, I mean magnetic fields around exoplanets. Without them, we could never live in the "Goldilocks Zone."

Check this research out, maybe it could use some review/expansion?
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/258562688_Detecting_The_Magnetic_Fields_Of_The_Transiting_Exoplanets_Corot-1b_And_Wasp-3b [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some current hot topics in astrophysics research?

Some current hot topics in astrophysics research include the search for dark matter and dark energy, the study of exoplanets and the potential for habitability, and the exploration of the origins of the universe through cosmology.

2. How do I choose a research topic in astrophysics for my undergraduate studies?

To choose a research topic in astrophysics for your undergraduate studies, it is important to consider your interests and strengths within the field. You may also want to consult with your professors and research current literature to identify gaps in knowledge and potential areas for exploration.

3. What are some research methods commonly used in astrophysics?

Some research methods commonly used in astrophysics include observational techniques such as telescopes and satellites, theoretical models and simulations, and data analysis and interpretation.

4. Can I conduct research in astrophysics as an undergraduate student?

Yes, many undergraduate students have the opportunity to participate in research projects in astrophysics. You can seek out research opportunities through your university, summer programs, or by reaching out to professors who are conducting research in your area of interest.

5. What are the potential career paths for individuals with a degree in astrophysics?

A degree in astrophysics can lead to a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia or at government agencies such as NASA, careers in industry such as aerospace engineering, or science communication and education roles. Many astrophysics graduates also go on to pursue graduate studies in the field.