How to integrate an ordinary differential equation around a singular point?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a second order ordinary differential equation of f(x) with a domain of [0, \infty) and a boundary condition of f(x=0)=0. The equation is linear, so the solution only needs to be determined up to an overall constant. The suggestion is to use the boundary condition and the 4th-order Runge-Kutta method to solve it numerically. However, there is concern about the large term A(A+1)/x^2 near the origin and how to control the error by shrinking the step length. The proposed solution is f(x) = C\sqrt{x}J_{A+1/2}(\sqrt{E}x), where C is an
wdlang
i have a second order ordinary differential equation of f(x):

f''+(E-A(A+1)/x^2)f=0, where A is a positive integer, E is a real constant

the domain is [0, \infty).

the boundary condition is f(x=0)=0

since this is a linear equation, i only need to determine f up to a overall constant

how to do this numerically from the origin and outward?

we can prove that in the neighborhood of the origin, f is on the order of x^(A+1)

Physics news on Phys.org
a naive idea is to use the boundary condition mentioned above and the 4th-order Runge-Kutta method to do it

my concern is that in near the origin, the A(A+1)/x^2 term is too large

and therefore i have no idea whether the RK method will work, or if it does, how to control the error by shrinking the step length.

If I do not mistaken, the solution

[tex]f(x) = C\sqrt{x}J_{A+1/2}(\sqrt{E}x)[/tex]

where C is an arbitrary constant fit your ODE and the boundary condition f(x=0)=0.

kosovtsov said:
If I do not mistaken, the solution

[tex]f(x) = C\sqrt{x}J_{A+1/2}(\sqrt{E}x)[/tex]

where C is an arbitrary constant fit your ODE and the boundary condition f(x=0)=0.

thanks a lot

however, i am not interested in the analytical solution

i want a general numerical method to deal with such singular points

the equation above is just an example, for which, luckily, an analytical solution is available

There are a few different approaches to integrating an ordinary differential equation around a singular point, such as the one described in the content above. One common method is to use a power series expansion around the singular point, in this case the origin. This allows us to approximate the solution of the differential equation in the neighborhood of the singular point and then extend it outward.

Another approach is to use a numerical integration method, such as the Runge-Kutta method, to solve the differential equation numerically. This involves breaking the domain into smaller intervals and approximating the solution at each interval. The accuracy of this method depends on the size of the intervals, so it may be necessary to use smaller intervals near the singular point to get a more accurate solution.

Additionally, it is important to consider the boundary conditions when integrating around a singular point. In this case, the boundary condition is f(x=0)=0, which means that the solution must approach 0 as x approaches 0. This can be taken into account in the numerical integration method by adjusting the initial conditions or using a shooting method to find the appropriate solution.

In summary, integrating an ordinary differential equation around a singular point requires careful consideration of the domain, boundary conditions, and choice of numerical method. It may also be helpful to use analytical techniques, such as a power series expansion, to approximate the solution near the singular point.

1. What is a singular point in an ordinary differential equation?

A singular point in an ordinary differential equation is a point where the solution is not defined or becomes infinite. It can occur when the coefficients of the equation are not continuous or when the solution approaches a vertical asymptote.

2. How can I identify a singular point in an ordinary differential equation?

To identify a singular point, you can look for any discontinuities or points where the coefficients of the equation become zero or infinite. You can also plot the equation and observe any points where the solution becomes undefined or approaches infinity.

3. Can singular points be avoided in an ordinary differential equation?

In most cases, it is not possible to avoid singular points in an ordinary differential equation. However, certain techniques such as change of variables or transformation can sometimes help in avoiding or eliminating singular points.

4. How do I integrate an ordinary differential equation around a singular point?

The process of integrating an ordinary differential equation around a singular point involves finding a solution that is valid near the singular point. This can be achieved by using techniques such as power series expansion or Frobenius method.

5. Are there any special considerations when integrating an ordinary differential equation around a singular point?

Yes, there are some special considerations when integrating around a singular point. These include finding a suitable initial condition, taking into account any singularities in the solution, and checking the convergence of the solution near the singular point.