How to Integrate cos^2(x)sin^3(x) dx?

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx
In summary, the Ti-nspire and book answer is usually different for integration, but on this particular problem the book had no answer. The calculator seems to want to factor everything and leave answers in sinx and cosx.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$$\int \cos^2 \left({x}\right)\sin^3 \left({x}\right)dx$$
$$-\int\cos^2 \left({x}\right)\left(1-\cos^2 \left({x}\right)\right)\sin\left({x}\right)dx
=-\int\left(\cos^2 \left({x}\right)-\cos^4\left({x}\right)\right)\sin\left({x}\right)dx $$
$$u=\cos\left({x}\right)\ \ du=-\sin\left({x}\right)dx $$
So
$$-\int\left({u}^{2}-{u}^{4}\right)du$$

So far?

Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
$$\int \cos^2 \left({x}\right)\sin^3 \left({x}\right)dx$$
$$-\int\cos^2 \left({x}\right)\left(1-\cos^2 \left({x}\right)\right)\sin\left({x}\right)dx
=-\int\left(\cos^2 \left({x}\right)-\cos^4\left({x}\right)\right)\sin\left({x}\right)dx $$
$$u=\cos\left({x}\right)\ \ du=-\sin\left({x}\right)dx $$
So
$$-\int\left({u}^{2}-{u}^{4}\right)du$$

So far?
you are almost through where is the problem
integral becomes

$-(\frac{u^3}{3} - \frac{u^5}{5}) + C $ and u = $\cos x$ hence the result

$$-\left(\frac{\cos^3 \left({x}\right)}{3}-\frac{\cos^5\left({x}\right)}{5}\right)
=\left(\frac{-\sin^2 \left({x}\right)}{5}-\frac{2}{15}\right)\cos^3\left({x}\right)+C$$

Done?

I can't figure out where that came from. :eek:

At least, the one on the left is correct. :)

\(\displaystyle \int\cos^2(x)\sin^3(x)\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle =\int\cos^2(x)(1-\cos^2(x))\sin(x)\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle =\int(\cos^2(x)-\cos^4(x))\sin(x)\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle u=\cos(x)\quad-du=\sin(x)\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle -\int u^2-u^4\,du=\int u^4-u^2\,du=\dfrac{u^5}{5}-\dfrac{u^3}{3}+C\)

\(\displaystyle \int\cos^2(x)\sin^3(x)\,dx=\dfrac{\cos^5(x)}{5}-\dfrac{\cos^3(x)}{3}+C\)

The answer on the right is the Ti-nspire answer
The last word on all calculations😱😱😱

karush said:
The answer on the right is the Ti-nspire answer
The last word on all calculations😱😱😱

If we take Greg's result:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{\cos^5(x)}{5}-\frac{\cos^3(x)}{3}+C\)

Factor:

\(\displaystyle I=\cos^3(x)\left(\frac{\cos^2(x)}{5}-\frac{1}{3}\right)+C\)

Apply a Pythagorean identity:

\(\displaystyle I=\cos^3(x)\left(\frac{1-\sin^2(x)}{5}-\frac{1}{3}\right)+C\)

\(\displaystyle I=\cos^3(x)\left(\frac{-\sin^2(x)}{5}+\frac{3}{15}-\frac{5}{15}\right)+C\)

\(\displaystyle I=\left(\frac{-\sin^2(x)}{5}-\frac{2}{15}\right)\cos^3(x)+C\)

And we have the less elegant result spat out by the machine. :)

The Ti-nspire and book answer are rarely the same for integration. However on this one the book had no answer. The calculator seems to want to factor everything and leave answers in sinx and cosx. why? not sure.

Related to How to Integrate cos^2(x)sin^3(x) dx?

What is the integral of cosx^2 sinx^3 dx?

The integral of cosx^2 sinx^3 dx is a trigonometric function that represents the area under the curve of the product of cosx^2 and sinx^3.

Why is the integral of cosx^2 sinx^3 dx important?

The integral of cosx^2 sinx^3 dx is important because it appears in many physical and mathematical applications, such as in calculating work done by a force and finding the areas of certain shapes.

How do you solve the integral of cosx^2 sinx^3 dx?

To solve the integral of cosx^2 sinx^3 dx, we use the trigonometric identity cos^2x = (1 + cos2x)/2. We then use the substitution method, substituting u = cosx^2 and du = -sinx^2 dx, to simplify the integral and solve it.

What are the common mistakes when solving the integral of cosx^2 sinx^3 dx?

Common mistakes when solving the integral of cosx^2 sinx^3 dx include not using the correct trigonometric identity, forgetting to substitute properly, and making errors in integration by parts.

How can the integral of cosx^2 sinx^3 dx be used in real-life situations?

The integral of cosx^2 sinx^3 dx can be used in real-life situations such as calculating the work done by a force acting on an object, determining the area of a curved shape, and solving certain differential equations that model physical systems.