How to integrate sqrt((ax+b)/x) dx (square root of linear fractional function)

Show Steps".In summary, to integrate sqrt((ax+b)/x) dx, let u=\frac{ax+b}{x} and then let v=\sqrt{u}. This will simplify the expression and make it easier to integrate. Alternatively, you can use the website integrals.wolfram.com to find the steps for solving the integral.
Holali
Hi,
simple question, but difficult to find an answer for me

How to integrate sqrt((ax+b)/x) dx ?
a,b constants and x variable

if it matters, I would be happy if you could solve it just for both a,b >0

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]u=\frac{ax+b}{x}[/itex]. We're keeping our fingers crossed, there's no other common methods that apply, so this looked like most natural thing to do.

The expression will be a little simpler, but now we try a more common method, which is let [itex]v=\sqrt{u}[/itex]. To find [itex]du[/itex], we usually consider [itex]v^2=u[/itex], to simplify things. I think you will end up with something that you know how to integrate.

Holali said:
Hi,
simple question, but difficult to find an answer for me

How to integrate sqrt((ax+b)/x) dx ?
a,b constants and x variable

if it matters, I would be happy if you could solve it just for both a,b >0

Thanks

Let x = (b/a)(sinh(t))²

go here:

integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp

and enter

sqrt[(a*x+b)/x]

into the text box

1. What is a linear fractional function?

A linear fractional function is a type of algebraic function in which the numerator and denominator are both linear expressions. It can be written in the form of f(x) = (ax + b) / (cx + d), where a, b, c, and d are constants.

2. Why is the square root of a linear fractional function difficult to integrate?

The square root of a linear fractional function is difficult to integrate because it involves both a radical and a rational function. This combination makes it challenging to use traditional integration techniques.

3. What is the general approach for integrating sqrt((ax+b)/x) dx?

The general approach for integrating sqrt((ax+b)/x) dx is to first rewrite the function as a sum or difference of simpler fractions, and then use substitution or integration by parts to evaluate the integral.

4. Can the integral of sqrt((ax+b)/x) dx be evaluated using a substitution?

Yes, the integral of sqrt((ax+b)/x) dx can be evaluated using the substitution method. A common substitution is u = sqrt(ax+b) which simplifies the integral to a more manageable form.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when integrating sqrt((ax+b)/x) dx?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when integrating sqrt((ax+b)/x) dx. These include when the numerator is a perfect square, when the denominator is a perfect square, and when both the numerator and denominator are perfect squares.