1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to interpret a function in 3 dimentions

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have calculus, and a lot of tasks ask for drawing of the functions in 3 dimentions. I have problems thinking of how to do this, often it can be a parabolid or other Objects. Example, one I cant think of how im suppose to Draw, here Im going to solve for Stokes (that is a pretty easy function) x^2 +y^2 +5z =1 , where z≥0.

Is there any good technique to use for drawing With Three variables?

2. Relevant equations
    I dont know what to use here

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think that if I put z=0, you get a circle in the xy-plane With a radius 1, but when z=1, I get X^2 +y^2 =-4, so the New radius is -4 ( or is it √-4?) i dont think im thinking correctly here.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's right - you aren't.
    For this surface, you can get a lot of information from cross-sections that are parallel to the x-y plane. To do this, rewrite the equation as x2 + y2 = 1 - 5z.

Since x2 + y2 ≥ 0 for all real x and y, then it must be that 1 - 5z ≥ 0 as well. If you substitute z = 1, you don't get a circle with an imaginary radius. It means that there are no points on the surface for which z = 1.

If 1 - 5z = 0, what you get is a degenerate circle - a single point. Try substituting a few values of z for which 1 - 5z > 0. All of these will give you cross-sections at various heights that will help you recognize what the surface looks like.

Another technique that can be used is to look at the three traces, cross-sections of the curve in the x-y plane (set z = 0), x-z plane (set y = 0), and y-z plane (set x = 0).

4. Nov 20, 2013 #3
    Thanks! But how do you see that 1-5z=0 is a single point?
    And to get 1 - 5z > 0, dosent z have to be negative? to have z=, -1, -2 -3 , but that cant be becous z≥0. and does this gives us the radius of the parabolid?

5. Nov 20, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It clearly fixes the value of z. If you substitute that value in the original equation, what do you get? I think you'll find there is only solution for x and y as well.
    No, think that through again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted