Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to interpret multi-power laws regimes

1. Feb 6, 2009 #1
    Hello everyone
    I’m a linguistic student and want to interpret multi-power law regimes since my data has four regimes e.g. what do the regimes mean in respect to the entity represented on the x-axis when the y-axis is cumulative distribution? Any pointers to good papers, books would be really appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Julie

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2009 #2
    Well i started looking around for something specific...
    then i typed this
    "multi-power law regimes answer"
    into yahoo search and there are 6 pdf's on the front page.

this one is pretty neat:
    http://math.ucsd.edu/~fan/power.pdf" [Broken]

I see you're a linguistics student so, you know... reading the top third will give you a good idea of what they're saying. I didn't look at the other pdf's so, there may be a better one for what you need right on page 1.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Feb 10, 2009 #3
    Dear Netometry,
    Apologies for not responding sooner - had internet problems. Thanks so much for finding these papers. I have tried lots of googling but no luck. Probably the keywords were too specific like you said.
    But cheers for this - much appreciated.
    All the best
    Julie

5. Feb 11, 2009 #4
    :smile:You're welcome,
    I learned a lot through searching. I'm much better at searching yahoo than i am at math.

6. Feb 12, 2009 #5
    :) I like being a cyber sherlock...do you find yahoo is a better search engine than google generally?

7. Feb 12, 2009 #6
    I just got your name! That's a coool word. I'm sooo slooow :)

8. Feb 12, 2009 #7
    :)
    Well, i like gigabast.com and yahoo for pdf's
    Google, i use for research mostly. but, i do like their returns when i'm on the front page :)
    Um, i don't want to pull this topic into an opposing genre...
    You posted it so maybe it's ok to digress, but... if you want to talk about indexes i've been studying the system for a while. In the appropriate topic i'll rock it.

"netometry" - well i'm not the first to own the domain, so i didn't invent the association, but... i'm the first one to register a business with the fed under the name :) the previous one was just a parking page on godaddy, you can see it on the wayback machine.

Nice to meet you.

Stephen

9. Feb 12, 2009 #8
    Nice to meet you too Stephen. (Hope business is going well). I would very much like to know about indexing...I'll go to the computer science forum and post there...Ciao 4 now.
    Julie

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook