How to interpret multi-power laws regimes

• Thread starter monkeyface
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, Julie, a linguistic student, asked for help in interpreting multi-power law regimes and finding relevant papers and books. Netometry provided helpful advice on searching for specific keywords and recommended a paper on the topic. The conversation then digressed into discussing search engines and indexing, with Netometry sharing their expertise in the subject. The conversation ended with Julie thanking Netometry and expressing interest in learning more about indexing.
monkeyface
Hello everyone
I’m a linguistic student and want to interpret multi-power law regimes since my data has four regimes e.g. what do the regimes mean in respect to the entity represented on the x-axis when the y-axis is cumulative distribution? Any pointers to good papers, books would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Julie

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well i started looking around for something specific...
then i typed this
"multi-power law regimes answer"
into yahoo search and there are 6 pdf's on the front page.

this one is pretty neat:
http://math.ucsd.edu/~fan/power.pdf"

I see you're a linguistics student so, you know... reading the top third will give you a good idea of what they're saying. I didn't look at the other pdf's so, there may be a better one for what you need right on page 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Netometry,
Apologies for not responding sooner - had internet problems. Thanks so much for finding these papers. I have tried lots of googling but no luck. Probably the keywords were too specific like you said.
But cheers for this - much appreciated.
All the best
Julie

:smile:You're welcome,
I learned a lot through searching. I'm much better at searching yahoo than i am at math.

:) I like being a cyber sherlock...do you find yahoo is a better search engine than google generally?

I just got your name! That's a coool word. I'm sooo slooow :)

:)
Well, i like gigabast.com and yahoo for pdf's
Google, i use for research mostly. but, i do like their returns when I'm on the front page :)
Um, i don't want to pull this topic into an opposing genre...
You posted it so maybe it's ok to digress, but... if you want to talk about indexes I've been studying the system for a while. In the appropriate topic i'll rock it.

"netometry" - well I'm not the first to own the domain, so i didn't invent the association, but... I'm the first one to register a business with the fed under the name :) the previous one was just a parking page on godaddy, you can see it on the wayback machine.

Nice to meet you.

Stephen

Nice to meet you too Stephen. (Hope business is going well). I would very much like to know about indexing...I'll go to the computer science forum and post there...Ciao 4 now.
Julie

1. What is a multi-power law regime?

A multi-power law regime is a phenomenon where a system exhibits multiple power laws, which are mathematical relationships between two variables where one variable changes proportionally to a power of the other. In this case, the system exhibits different power laws at different scales or ranges of the variables.

2. How do you interpret multi-power law regimes?

Interpreting multi-power law regimes involves understanding the different power laws present and their respective scales or ranges. This can be done by analyzing the data and identifying the patterns in the relationships between the variables. Additionally, comparing the power laws to theoretical models or previous studies can aid in interpretation.

3. What are the challenges of interpreting multi-power law regimes?

One challenge is that multi-power law regimes can be complex and difficult to understand, especially if there are multiple variables involved. Additionally, the presence of noise or outliers in the data can make it challenging to accurately identify and interpret the power laws present. Furthermore, the interpretation may be subjective and dependent on the researcher's perspective.

4. Can multi-power law regimes be applied to real-world systems?

Yes, multi-power law regimes can be observed and applied to various real-world systems, such as in economics, ecology, and physics. They can help us understand the behavior and dynamics of complex systems, and can also be used to make predictions and inform decision-making.

5. How can multi-power law regimes be useful in scientific research?

Multi-power law regimes can provide valuable insights into the underlying mechanisms and patterns of complex systems. By understanding the different power laws present, researchers can gain a deeper understanding of the system and its behavior. This information can also be used to develop more accurate models and make predictions about the system's future behavior.