Magnetic Flux Questions from Japanese University Exam Papers

In summary, the conversation is about a new member introducing themselves to the forum and asking for help with some physics questions. They provide their attempts at solutions and receive guidance on the third question, eventually arriving at the correct answer. The conversation ends with positive feedback about the forum.
BeginnerPhysicsMan
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here

Firstly, I'd like to start by saying that it's my best intention to follow the rules on this forum. Therefore, if I've posted this in the wrong section please forgive me, I will try and learn the ropes quickly.

One of my students has given me some Japanese university exam paper questions for Physics (NOTE: I'm a maths teacher). I'm finding them very difficult to answer. I think I've got the answer for the first two but I would like to double-check here. I am pretty confused by the third one, which is quite embarrassing.

First One: I got (2) (H, O, H) by using Fleming's second right-hand rule and the equation for Magnetic field strength being directly proportional to current, and inversely to the distance from the wire

Second One: I got (2) By using Faraday's Law and Lenz's law. Looking at the constant change in flux against time, and the graph flipped over the x-axis due to Lenz's law telling us that an induced emf opposes the change which causes it.

Third One: I'm stuck to be honest

Any help will be massively appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• 44236.jpg
    44236.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 648
  • 44265.jpg
    44265.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 570
  • 44273.jpg
    44273.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 726
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
BeginnerPhysicsMan said:
Third One: I'm stuck to be honest
This type of questions belong to the homework help forum.
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/homework-and-coursework-questions.152/.
Since this is your first post, moderators may move it there for you. Your own attempt at a solution is also required.

For the 3rd question, write the force balance equation for the rod. Which forces act on the rod as it descends?

Likes BeginnerPhysicsMan
Hello

thank you for the reply

3rd question:

At constant velocity I have that mg would equal BIL

Then I'm stuck. The magnetic flux would be constant since it's a uniform field. But I can't see how to get to one of the answers

BeginnerPhysicsMan said:
At constant velocity I have that mg would equal BIL
Correct, and what is I in terms of the given quantities?
BeginnerPhysicsMan said:
The magnetic flux would be constant since it's a uniform field.
Current flows in the rod because of the motional emf. Look up the equation for motional emf.

Or if you want to use the flux rule, calculate the rate of change of flux w.r.t. the loop. The loop gets smaller as the rod descends and hence, the flux in the loop is changing. This way, you'll derive the motional emf equation.

Likes BeginnerPhysicsMan
Ah, I got number 3

Thank you very much

BeginnerPhysicsMan said:
Ah, I got number 3
That is correct.

Thank you for the help

This is a great forum

BeginnerPhysicsMan said:
Thank you for the help
You're welcome!
BeginnerPhysicsMan said:
This is a great forum
Indeed it is..:smile:

Likes BeginnerPhysicsMan

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and its unit is tesla meter squared (Tm²).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength (B) by the perpendicular area (A) that the field passes through, and then taking the cosine of the angle between the two. This can be represented by the equation Φ = B * A * cos(θ).

3. What is the unit of magnetic flux?

The unit of magnetic flux is tesla meter squared (Tm²), which is equivalent to weber (Wb).

4. How does magnetic flux relate to Faraday's Law of Induction?

Magnetic flux is an important factor in Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor. The magnitude of the induced current is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux.

5. What is the significance of magnetic flux in practical applications?

Magnetic flux plays a crucial role in many practical applications, such as electric generators and motors, transformers, and magnetic data storage devices. It is also used in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines and in the production of electricity through hydroelectric power plants.