References on thermal power stations and supercritical technology

In summary, the conversation discusses an assignment that requires a comparison between the thermodynamic cycle of a typical thermal power station and one using 'ultra-supercritical technology'. The main difference between the two is that the latter does not involve any phase transition, leading to higher efficiency. However, the person is having difficulty finding reputable sources to use for the assignment, and is seeking pointers on where to find information on the topic. They mention that they are currently working on quantifying the entropy of Einstein solids and ideal gases, but for this investigation, the application of the first law is more important.
GwtBc
Hi. This is technically an assignment question, but it's not really a problem that I have to solve. It's more of an investigation so I thought this would be a more appropriate place to discuss it.

The question basically asks you to compare the thermodynamic cycle of water in a typical thermal power station versus one using 'ultra-supercritical technology'. I've looked around on the internet and got the basic idea of how each type of plant works as well as the main differentiator, that no phase transition in a supercritial reactor leads to higher efficiency.

However, I can't use much of this online material as a source in the assignment, and I'm finding it difficult to find reputable references to read up on the topic. Anything would do; books, papers, official web pages.

Also, if there is any aspect of this discussion that you think deserves special attention I would appreciate any and all pointers. Currently we are working on quantifying the entropy of Einstein solids and ideal gases as well as the definition of temperature in terms of the entropy of a system, however I think as far as this investigation is concerned applications of the first law are what is being sought after.

Thanks in advance

Science news on Phys.org
It is very unclear what specific info you seek. But for first law principles, can't you do it with just a Mollier Chart instead of a real power plant?
It is not common to publish the detailed thermal design of power plants in open literature.

1. What is a thermal power station?

A thermal power station is a type of power plant that uses heat from burning fuel, such as coal, oil, or natural gas, to produce electricity. The heat is used to boil water and create steam, which then drives a turbine and generates electricity.

2. How does a thermal power station work?

A thermal power station works by burning fuel to produce heat, which is then used to boil water and create steam. The steam is then directed to a turbine, which spins and generates electricity. The steam is then condensed back into water and reused in the boiler.

3. What is supercritical technology in thermal power stations?

Supercritical technology refers to a type of steam turbine used in thermal power stations that operates at higher temperatures and pressures than traditional turbines. This allows for greater efficiency and lower emissions.

4. What are the benefits of using supercritical technology in thermal power stations?

The use of supercritical technology in thermal power stations has several benefits, including higher efficiency, lower emissions, and reduced fuel consumption. This results in lower operating costs and a smaller environmental impact.

5. What are some examples of countries that use supercritical technology in their thermal power stations?

Some examples of countries that use supercritical technology in their thermal power stations include China, India, and the United States. In fact, China has the largest number of supercritical thermal power stations in the world.