How to Isolate dx/dt from d(xy)/dt and dy/dt?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Timeforheroes0
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Differentiation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Timeforheroes0
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Hey guys,
Just a simple question to see if I'm going insane. So say I have an expression for:
[tex]\frac{dxy}{dt}[/tex] and an expression for [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex], how to I go about isolating an expression for just [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]
I have tried using the product rule but it doesn't work for what I want. I know this is a very simple question but I haven't done calculus in a long time!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex] \frac{d(xy)}{dt}=\frac{dx}{dt}y+x\frac{dy}{dt}\Rightarrow \frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{1}{y}(\frac{d(xy)}{dt}-x\frac{dy}{dt})[/itex]
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cosmictide
Yeah that's what I did.. I'm doing this in an ode solver in MATLAB so obviously my code is wrong elsewhere.
thanks!