How to keep kids from eating laundry detergent?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kids
In summary, the problem with detergent pods is that they are too candy-like and look too much like Halloween candy, which is why kids try to eat them. The solution is for the pods to be made to look more like Brussels sprouts, which would be less likely to be eaten by children.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The problem is, those handy little detergent pods look too much like Halloween candy, so kids try to eat them.

Laundry detergent pods are 'real risk' to children (CNN)

They should make those pods look like Brussels sprouts, instead.

Likes Borek
Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
Good idea! Weed out those damned vegetarians! :w

Likes davenn
jtbell said:
Yeah. Anything but a http://www.bigstory.ap.org/article/7bc01be3269c4779a563fc22d50d5108/hundreds-kids-harmed-detergent-pods-study .

Jessica Morin of Houston says her 9-month-old daughter, Marlow, was sickened earlier this year when Jessica's grandmother mistook a detergent pod for a teething toy and put it in the baby's mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the problem should fix itself once the child tastes it.
If the child tastes it and keeps eating, then I say let natural selection do its work.

Likes phinds
I use those and they come in a plastic container clearly marked as soap and is not easy to open, how an adult would accidentally just find one lying near where a baby is kept and shove it in their mouth without rinsing it first (which is when you'd figure out it's soap) is beyond me.

Likes davenn
You're supposed to keep those out of reach of small children anyway just like with all the other chemicals. How hard can it be?

Evo said:
without rinsing it first (which is when you'd figure out it's soap

That's the part I don't get either. Babes find things lying around and put them in their mouths. That's just what they do. But you'd think an adult would have more sense than to find something lying around and put it in a baby's mouth.

Vanadium 50 said:
you'd think an adult would have more sense

And that from an ex-Mentor, sigh.

Nikitin said:
You're supposed to keep those out of reach of small children anyway just like with all the other chemicals. How hard can it be?
Exactly. Parents are supposed to keep hazardous things out of reach of children - e.g., on high shelves or locked cabinets. Of course, there are some thoughtless individuals out there.

[The baby] had been sleeping in a laundry basket with the pod when it happened.
That's how: do not place your baby in a laundry basked with a detergent pod.

Likes Evo
Monique said:
That's how: do not place your baby in a laundry basked with a detergent pod.
So, it's the detergent's fault, not the parent that put a baby in a laundry basket with the detergent pod. :))

Evo said:
So, it's the detergent's fault, not the parent that put a baby in a laundry basket with the detergent pod. :))
Have some sympathy; it's a tough time to be a lawyer in the US!

But you'd think an adult would have more sense than to find something lying around and put it in a baby's mouth.
A lot of people never grow up, they just get bigger.

Evo said:
This doesn't seem to match Monique's comment, am I losto_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes lisab
You should see the other cover. Either she's a freak or they have done some big arse photoshopping. The other cover shows her with a rear end the size of the Goodyear blimp.

Likes dlgoff
Evo said:
You should see the other cover. Either she's a freak or they have done some big arse photoshopping. The other cover shows her with a rear end the size of the Goodyear blimp.
Once again..."attention span of a gnat":oops:

Evo said:
That's part what caught me off guard, last pictures I saw needed a "wide load" sign attached:p

Kim ought to wear one of those signs you see on the back of large trucks: WIDE LOAD

SteamKing said:
Kim ought to wear one of those signs you see on the back of large trucks: WIDE LOAD

And a little horn that goes; beep, beep, beep when she backs up.

Am I lost or did I only imagine that I was on a laundry detergent thread??

The problem with the detergents is that to save space on store shelves companies are making them more and more concentrated. A small child would not be about to ingest a full cup of the older versions of tide, yet that is equivalent of what these new cute little candy lookalikes contains.

All detergents, especially concentrated detergents, need to be watched closely. It is just another one of those first world problems.

edward said:

Am I lost or did I only imagine that I was on a laundry detergent thread??
The topics in these Gen Discussion forums tend to meander a bit. Someone else pitched the Kardashian ball, I just batted it.

Makes me think of Saartjie Baartman.

220px-thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
edward said:

Am I lost or did I only imagine that I was on a laundry detergent thread

Sorry:oops: see post #18...:)
Too little too late,...but the soap that it takes to clean her clothes, should save a few babies:)

Last edited:

1. How dangerous is it for kids to eat laundry detergent?

Eating laundry detergent can be extremely dangerous for kids. It contains chemicals that can irritate the digestive tract and cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even burns to the mouth and throat. In severe cases, it can lead to difficulty breathing and even death.

2. What are the most common ingredients in laundry detergent that are harmful to kids?

Some of the most common harmful ingredients in laundry detergent are sodium hydroxide, sodium carbonate, and sodium laureth sulfate. These chemicals can cause irritation, burns, and respiratory problems if ingested.

3. How can I prevent my kids from eating laundry detergent?

The best way to prevent kids from eating laundry detergent is to keep it out of their reach. Store it in a high cabinet or locked cupboard. You can also use child-proof containers or add a child-proof lock to the laundry room door. It's also important to educate your children about the dangers of eating laundry detergent.

4. What should I do if my child accidentally eats laundry detergent?

If your child accidentally eats laundry detergent, immediately call poison control or seek medical attention. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by a medical professional. You should also monitor your child for any symptoms such as difficulty breathing, vomiting, or burns to the mouth and throat.

5. Are there any safer alternatives to laundry detergent?

Yes, there are several safer alternatives to traditional laundry detergent. These include using natural or organic detergents, making your own detergent with non-toxic ingredients, or using washing balls or magnets. It's important to always read the labels and ingredients of any laundry products to ensure they are safe for you and your family.