How to keep the starting time from being deleted from YouTube links?

• Thread starter rcgldr
  • Start date
In summary, to prevent the starting time from being deleted from YouTube links, use the "share" button and select the option to copy the link with a specific start time. This is because the default behavior when copying a link is to include the entire video without a specific start time. Yes, you can manually add the starting time to a YouTube link by adding the parameter "t=" followed by the time in seconds. When embedding a YouTube video on a website, the starting time will be included if using the embed code or by using the "share" button. To share a YouTube link with a specific starting time on social media, use the "share" button or manually add the starting time before sharing.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
Here at Physics FOrusm, if I post a link to a youtube video with a start time, such as ...&t=63s for a start time of 63 seconds, the conversion to a media html removes the start time. How do I fix this? Sometimes the link shows :63, but that's not working.

Physics news on Phys.org
This form (using: /vidname?t=nn) seems to work (t=63 chosen to match your numer of seconds):

Likes rcgldr
If you post it as formatted link then the forum doesn't change the link.

Link with text

1. How can I prevent the starting time from being deleted from a YouTube link?

One way to keep the starting time from being deleted is to add the "t" parameter to the end of the YouTube link. This parameter allows you to specify the time in seconds for the video to start at.

2. Can I use the "t" parameter for any YouTube video?

Yes, the "t" parameter can be used for any YouTube video, including ones that are embedded on other websites.

3. What is the format for adding the "t" parameter to a YouTube link?

The format for adding the "t" parameter is "t=[time in seconds]" at the end of the YouTube link. For example, if you want the video to start at 1 minute and 30 seconds, the parameter would be "t=90".

4. Is there a way to set the starting time for a YouTube video without using the "t" parameter?

No, the only way to specify a starting time for a YouTube video is by using the "t" parameter. Other methods, such as adding a timestamp to the end of the link, will not work.

5. Will the starting time be saved if I share the YouTube link with others?

Yes, the starting time will be saved for anyone who clicks on the shared link. This is because the "t" parameter is included in the link and will be applied to the video when it is opened.