Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to label points in 3D Scatter Plot (Mathematica)

1. May 25, 2012 #1
    Hi, I really need some help here.
    Right now I am plotting points on a 3D Scatter plot chart in Mathematica. I want to assign each of these points with a value which will be the label. Basically each point has 4 variable in the parameter. Its x,y,z cartesian coordinate position and the last value as the label.

I know how to plot these points in a 3DScatterPlot in Mathematica but I am having trouble to label them. I don't know how and I would love to know if there's a way to write a for-loop in Mathematica to label all these points. And after labeling these points, I would like them to display in the interactive 3D plot.

Also is there a way to do this efficiently?
    Lets say I put all of my (x,y,z) positions in an array or arrayList or whatever they call it in mathematica. Then I want to iterate through every one of them and label them with something I wish to label. (most likely it would be a numeric value)

Thank you very much.
    Have a good holiday.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2012 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I think that you need to make a list of the form
    {Text["label_1",{x_1,y_1,z_1}],...}
    Then make a Graphics3D object with the plot prepended to that list of text.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook