1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How to Make a Buck-Boost Converter with Continuous Current and Open Loop Design

1. May 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to make a Buck-Boost converter for my Design PE class but the problem is even though i have read about them i seriously don't know where to start. I have to make calculations and choose a mosfet, load, capacitor and an inductor but i don't know how.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm looking for a tutorial or a step-by-step guide on building a BBC. It's pretty basic actually not extremely complicated but i just need a nudge to the correct direction.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Have you checked out the websites for National Semiconductor or Maxim? You will find a lot of useful application and design information there, since they make the ICs that you can use for controllers.

And what do you mean by "Open Loop" in the title of this thread? You will generally use feedback to stabilize the output voltage...

4. May 10, 2010 #3
    By open loop, i mean the output voltage can be controlled by a potansiometer.

5. May 10, 2010 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Ah. That's not "open loop", that's "adjustable".

Were you able to find some useful application notes at those websites?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook