Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make graphene using tape really

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    Hey everyone,

So I've been doing research in graphene for a semester and my colleague and I have had no luck making graphene samples.

We are using the "scotch-tape" method on Kish graphite. We use a small piece of one flake to put on weak tape (we find that the Magic Tape is too strong and results in too much glue on the substrate) and peel repeatedly until we see a faint, gray cloud on the tape. We then put the Si wafer (SiO2 down) on the tape and peel off with the tweezer.

Our results are never good. We see a few small flakes of graphene (less than 5micron in length) and maybe one or at most two nice big pieces (greater than 10micron). This yield is not enough for us. We'd like to have at least 5 potential graphene flakes greater than 10micron per wafer. Also we get a lot of really thick chunks of graphite and glue on the substrate which hinders making good finger contacts. We've tried cleaning with acetone, methanol and isopropanol but it doesn't clean it enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make this process better? We've gone through so many papers but they never give you the details. Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated!

:-)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2009 #2
    I'm not certain about this but, if possible try melting some of the graphite sample and cool it off slowly, a slight breeze from a small fan should do. That should make the bonds between the graphene layers easier to separate using the tape. If you already tried this, or if your professor advises against it then feel free to disregard my theory.

4. Jul 9, 2009 #3

mheslep

Gold Member

Amazing stuff that Scotch tape. In you down time you might use the remaining spool to take some x-rays of your finger.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  5. Jul 10, 2009 #4
    The number of flakes sounds pretty average from my experience. There usually is a lot of dirt on the samples, a lot of which is removed during the annealing process. (I'm a graphene theorist, working in department with experimentalists).

6. Jul 11, 2009 #5
    You might want to try better quality HPOG.

7. Jul 13, 2009 #6

New method by hydrazine reduction:

see here:
    http://www.physorg.com/news145544727.html

8. Jul 13, 2009 #7

mheslep

Gold Member

I'd be interested in hearing about what methods are used to confirm the presence of graphene, with what sounds like somewhat limited resources at an undergraduate facility, as positive identification appears to be more difficult than creation.

9. Jul 23, 2009 #8
    I hear Scoth tape works wonders for experimentalists... I very recently attended a talk where an experimentalist described the "Scotch tape method" and how they did it repeatedly to get as few as 3-layered graphene samples...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?