Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make light act like a particle?

1. Aug 2, 2009 #1
    I have learned of quantum theory and I am doing a 4,000 word essay (IB FTW...). My question is "is light a particle or wave, and what effects it and why." I am going to be doing Thomas Young's double slit experiment which would show that light behaves as a wave (with DeBroglie's Hypothesis).

I am having problems though because I need to do an experiment that shows that light is a particle also. I know that people have thought for centuries that light is particles because it bounces off things, though I don't know if that would be valid enough for an essay. Plus I think I would score higher if I did an experiment (instead of making "assumptions" in the essay).

Edit: Wow, i'm retarded... I forgot about the photoelectric effect experiment. Do you know of any other experiments that are cheap enough for a high school student to do?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2009 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Einstein won his Nobel prize for explaining the photoelectric effect, which is described by light being made of particles. Look for the details for your essay.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook