How to make nickel gallium compund? Basic advice / direction

In summary, the speaker is looking for a method to make Ni5Ga3 in powder form for an experiment. They usually order chemicals online, but their supplier Sigma does not have this compound. They also need to consider the safety aspects of using the compound and are looking for a place where it is listed, such as an SDS form. They apologize for their lack of chemistry experience and later state that they have found a method using incipient wetness impregnation.
rwooduk
Hi,

I wish to make Ni5Ga3 for use in an experiment, it needs to be in powder form. Please could someone direct me to a place where the methodology can be found? I usually order chemicals online, but my supplier (Sigma) does not have this compound so I need to make it.

Also I need to consider the safety aspects of it's use, is there a place where this compund will be listed and any dangers associated with it (like an SDS form)?

Apologies if this is a stupid question, my background is Physics and I have very little chemistry experience.

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
its okay I found a method:

Ni-Ga catalysts were prepared using incipient wetness impregnation of a mixed
aqueous solution of nickel and gallium nitrates (Sigma Aldrich) on silica (Saint-
Gobain NorPro). The samples were directly reduced in H2 for 2 h at 700 8C.

Whatever incipient wetness impregnation is, will look it up.

Thanks anyway

Last edited:

1. What materials are needed to make nickel gallium compound?

To make nickel gallium compound, you will need nickel and gallium metal, a crucible, a furnace or heating source, and an inert atmosphere such as argon gas.

2. What is the process for making nickel gallium compound?

The process for making nickel gallium compound involves mixing the nickel and gallium metal in a crucible, heating it in a furnace or with a heating source in an inert atmosphere, and then cooling and solidifying the compound.

3. What temperature is needed to make nickel gallium compound?

The specific temperature needed to make nickel gallium compound will depend on the specific ratio of nickel and gallium being used. Generally, a temperature range of 600-800 degrees Celsius is recommended.

4. How can I ensure the purity of the nickel gallium compound?

To ensure the purity of the nickel gallium compound, it is important to use high purity nickel and gallium metals and to maintain an inert atmosphere during the heating process. Additionally, the compound can be analyzed using techniques such as X-ray diffraction or energy dispersive spectroscopy to confirm its purity.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when making nickel gallium compound?

Yes, it is important to handle nickel and gallium metal with caution as they can be toxic. It is also important to use appropriate protective gear and follow proper safety protocols when using a furnace or heating source. Additionally, working in a well-ventilated area is recommended.