How to measure the density of a material?

In summary: Volume displacement can be used to measure the bulk density of a material, but it's not always accurate. A helium gas pycnometer is a more accurate way to measure the density of a material.
EL AALLAOUI Najla
Homework Statement
how to measure the density of material
Relevant Equations
please I want to know how the measure the density of material considering that I have idea just about molar mass and mass thank you in advance
ohh

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of material? If you have a solid sample, first weigh it and then use volume displacement in a graduated water beaker to measure its volume?

• Informative
Likes EL AALLAOUI Najla and symbolipoint
yes I have a powder . thank you

but for powder this technique that you told me is useful !

This sort of thing is covered in the most elementary school physics textbooks, or used to be.

School physics labs have 'density bottles', bottles made to exactly e.g. 50 ml with a capillary stopper to make a precise volume.

Your liquid needs to be one that has no interaction with the solid, i.e. does not adsorb it nor dissolve in it. You don't want the solid floating on the liquid either.

Last edited:
Likes symbolipoint
epenguin said:
Your liquid needs to be one that has no interaction with the solid, i.e. does not adsorb it nor dissolve in it. You don't want the solid floating on the liquid either.
To determine the true density of solid powder particles, one therefore generally uses a helium gas pycnometer.

• Informative
Likes Delta2, symbolipoint and berkeman
Lord Jestocost said:
uses a helium gas pycnometer.
Helium? Not heavy inert gases; small/fixed volumes times low densities equal small masses?

EL AALLAOUI Najla said:
yes I have a powder . thank you
Easier if you can just accept Bulk Density. Weigh the volume measurement container with and without your material. Note the volume measurement. Density, or in such a case, bulk density, is mass (which in your case might need to be "weight") divided by volume.

Bystander said:
Helium? Not heavy inert gases; small/fixed volumes times low densities equal small masses?
"The problem with volume measurement is that object or substance isn't usually in a form of a regular shape but as a deformerd object or as a powder. Using classical method such as water diplacement isn't usually good enough since water could interact and become stuck on the sample surface. Gas pycnometry solves this by utilizing an inert gas and Boyle's gas law."

from: https://wiki.aalto.fi/display/SSC/Gas+pycnometry#cite-summary-2-1

• Informative
Likes Bystander and Delta2

What is density and why is it important to measure?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained within a given volume of a material. It is important to measure density because it can provide valuable information about the physical properties and composition of a material, and can also be used to identify and classify different substances.

What are the units of measurement for density?

The most commonly used units for density are grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3). However, other units such as pounds per cubic inch (lb/in3) or pounds per gallon (lb/gal) may also be used depending on the context.

How do you measure the density of a material?

The density of a material can be measured by dividing its mass by its volume. The mass can be measured using a balance or scale, while the volume can be determined by measuring the dimensions of the material or using displacement methods.

What is the difference between density and specific gravity?

Density and specific gravity are related but not the same. Density is an absolute measure of how much mass is contained within a given volume, while specific gravity is a ratio of the density of a substance to the density of a reference substance (usually water). Specific gravity is a unitless quantity, while density is typically expressed in mass per unit volume.

How does temperature affect the density of a material?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the density of a material. In general, as temperature increases, the density of a material decreases. This is because most substances expand when heated, causing the same mass to occupy a larger volume. This is why it is important to specify the temperature at which density measurements are taken.