How to mesh near an airfoil wall for k-epsilon simulation in FLUENT

  • Thread starter Thread starter mech5190
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cfd Fluent Mesh
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
mech5190
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi. I want to make a mesh for a airfoil for i solute it with FLUENT.
I must use the k-e turbulent model but i do not know how i make the mesh near the wall of airfoil. I have read that the Y plus of first cell must be within 30-300 for standard wall function.
However, How can i compute the Y length of cells for i make the mesh arround the foil?
Is there a specific prosses for the constraction of mesh?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do a search for "Sheared Parabolic Grid Generation". This is a common analytic grid generation technique. In fact...I think I've posted the method on here some while back.

The idea is that you create a cartesian grid, then "wrap" it around the airfoil using complex transforms. This will give you the best possible grid for solving an airfoil.

Might I also suggest using a "Joukowski" Airfoil to test with. This is an analytically generated airfoil shape (once again using complex transforms). Because it's an analytic shape, analytic solutions exist that you can validate against.