Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to plot actual compressor performance on manufacturer performance chart?

1. Jul 31, 2010 #1
    How to plot actual compressor performance on manufacturer" performance chart?

Hi all,

I have problem on plotting the actual compressor performance on manufacturer" performance chart. Can someone guide me?

Please see the attached figure for detailed information.

Thanks,
    EP

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2010 #2
    Re: How to plot actual compressor performance on manufacturer" performance chart?

I submitted another file because the picture is not so clear.

thanks,
    EP

Attached Files:

4. Aug 1, 2010 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: How to plot actual compressor performance on manufacturer" performance chart?

Hmmm, I don't see how it can be either of those points given the flow and pressure quoted for the "actual" condition.

5. Aug 1, 2010 #4

thanks for replying, now I know that i was wrong.

how about this?

Should I read like this?

At the actual performance, the engine needs more speed to achieve the expected HEAD and Flow. It means the compressor is still in good condition, but the engine is not so efficient as before.

Am I correct?

please see the attachment file, i just corrected the whole chart.

thanks,
    EP

6. Aug 1, 2010 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have no idea, since you haven't explained what your situation, application or problem is, other than that you're trying to plot something on a compressor map.

7. Aug 1, 2010 #6

The situation is:

on the actual operating performance:
    The compressor needs to run on 13485 rpm in order to achieve the expected flow of 9328 CFM with the Hisen of 64678 ft-lbf/lbm.

ideally (according to the mfg performance map):
    the compressor originally can run on 11650 rpm with these conditions (Flow=9328CFM and Hisen=64678 ft-lbf/lbm).

Summary:
    The unit needs more power to deliver the expected flow. it means the unit is not so efficient as before, there is LOSS of ENERGY on the unit. As an indication, the unit has high discharge temperature. (Energy loss --> heat)

EP

8. Aug 2, 2010 #7

I don't disagree with your statements on an intuitive level. I do notice that the inlet conditions are a bit different. The compressor map is only really valid for the specified inlet conditions so that may also be contributing to the discrepancy. For example, you are actually starting with a higher inlet temperature than the plot was made for.

9. Aug 2, 2010 #8

okay, thank you!

I'll try to get the proper map first.

mfg,
    EP

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook