How to Prepare for Grad School Application

In summary, the conversation discussed the best ways for an undergraduate student to increase their chances of getting into their desired graduate school. It was suggested to focus on getting good grades, gaining research experience, and obtaining strong letters of recommendation. Involvement in extra-curricular science and engineering activities was also recommended, as well as volunteering in labs to gain hands-on experience. The consensus was that having a combination of good grades, research experience, and strong letters of recommendation would make for an ideal graduate school applicant.
Enrickey
I'm starting my undergrad in electrical engineering at McGill University this fall, and while I know that it's still years ahead of me, I want to know how I can best secure my chances into whatever grad school I want down the road.

I plan on doing their honours EE course, as well as a minor in physics, so I'll be writing an honours thesis as well as being able to take some grad courses during my final year of study. What I really want to do, right now anyway, is to work in the field of nanotech, but not necessarily from a pure physics perspective, more of an engineer's perspective. I guess an example would be using carbon nanotubes in a certain application vs studying the physics behind a carbon nanotube (I hope that I'm making myself clear).

So while I enjoy my 4 years of undergrad, I just want to know what sort of opportunities I should look out for in order to increase my odds of going wherever it is that I choose down the road. Obviously getting good grades is one thing, but I'm sure there has to be something else. Do grad school care about volunteering or anything of that nature? I know that my school does some nano-tech work with the grad students, is there usually something that I can do to get involved as an undergrad? I really don't know what to start looking for, and I want to get going on the right foot.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the one thing about grad school is that they don't care if you volunteered at a library, they care if you did good research, if you have the ability to hard work and have shown that in your undergrad years. I would say letters of recommendation (and kind of related to this, research) is most important. Grades are important, but there is a pdf document by a guy who was on the admissions committee for compsci phd programs (like MIT, CMU, the best of the best) and he said generally 3.5 gpa is what they are looking for. It doesn't make a huge difference to have a 3.8 or a 3.9. But he said he really wants to see GOOD LETTERS.

A letter that says, this kid got an A in my class means nothing. The transcript tells them that already. A letter that says this kid did a paper with me, showed a lot of effort, worked really hard and we pumped out a quality paper will probably get you into a good school.

Now volunteering in a lab is much different than volunteering in a library. My advice is to get involved. See if this is something you really want to do, and the best way is to get involved. This also helps since you get to know faculty and you can maybe network into some research opportunities in your 3rd or 4th year, maybe your 2nd year even.

Keeping your marks up is the main thing. Something else you can do is to get involved with student engineering/physics groups - both the social groups and the ones oriented around extra-cirricular competitions such as a solar car or robotics team.

I forgot about extra-curricular competitions, I most certainly plan on entering those as I always find them a blast. There have been a few at my last school, and though I've never won anything, I've always had a good time with them.

As for a 3.5 gpa being enough, I'll keep that in mind, but obviously I'm going to try for the 4.0. I'll be sure to talk to my teachers often, and ask if I can do any work with them.

As far as volunteering in labs, I'll see how long I have to be there for that to happen. Because I live in Quebec, I went through the Cegep system before getting into university, so it's as if I've already done a good chunk of my first year courses. Maybe that means that I can get started on working in the lab even earlier?

So in conclusion, I guess the general consensus is to get involved with extra-curricular science/engineering related activities, as well as getting involved with the professors.

Yeap that sounds like a great plan.

I would say the ideal grad applicant is someone with good grades, good lab/research experience and good letters of recommendation. If you can get those things, then you have nothing left to question when grad school acceptance letters roll in. There isn't much more you can do besides what you mentioned.

1. What should I include in my personal statement?

In your personal statement, you should highlight your academic achievements, relevant work experience, and any research or projects you have completed. You should also explain why you are interested in pursuing graduate school and how it aligns with your career goals.

2. How important are letters of recommendation?

Letters of recommendation are a crucial component of your grad school application. They provide insight into your character, work ethic, and potential as a graduate student. Choose recommenders who know you well and can speak to your academic abilities and potential for success in graduate school.

3. How should I prepare for standardized tests?

Start by familiarizing yourself with the format and content of the test you will be taking. Practice with sample questions and set aside dedicated study time. Consider utilizing study materials or taking a test preparation course. Also, make sure to register for the test well in advance to secure your preferred test date.

4. What is the importance of having relevant experience?

Having relevant experience, such as internships, research projects, or work experience in your field of study, can demonstrate your dedication and passion for the subject. It also shows that you have practical skills and knowledge that are applicable to graduate studies.

5. How can I stand out in my application?

To stand out in your application, you should focus on showcasing your unique qualities and experiences. This could include highlighting any leadership roles, awards, or accomplishments. Also, make sure to tailor your application to each specific program and explain why you are a good fit for their program.