1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to properly find the Domain of fog/gof ?

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(x) = x + 1 D=[-9, 9]
    g(x) = x2 D=(1, 5)

Question to be solved
    Find both g o f and f o g and specify their domains

The attempt at a solution
    g o f = (x+1)2

This is where I don't really know what to do, however I'll let the logical part of my brain go a bit silly and try this:
    d= {x e R | 1 < x <= 2} because I'm making the assumption that it has to be true of both domains so while x = -4 would satisfy the domain of f(x) it doesn't g(x). Is that right? If so: how do I show this with math and not just my brain.. I think its inequalities but I've never been good at those, a first step would be much appreciated.

f o g = x2 + 1
    well x must be >1 but then I need to find whatever value is x2 + 1 < 9
    maybe
    sqrt(8) ? also, as sqrt(8) is clearly < 5 it fits the criteria i think are necessary
    So if I'm correct above it means D{x e R | 1 < x <= sqrt(8)}

I'm mostly sure I've answered these correctly, but I'm missing the formal way I should be writing this; the last thing I want is marks for correctness and marks lost for not showing my work.
    Thanks to anyone that points me in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

i can;t quiet follow what you've done, but you need the range or image of the intermediate function vs the domain of the 2nd function

so with som sloppy notation
    g(f(x)): x -> f(x) -> g(x)

now the domain of f is [-9,9], only values of f(x) that fall into (1,5) can be taken by g, so how does this limit the values you can take from [-9,9]

ie. the domain of g(f(x)) must satisfy both x in [-9,9] and f(x) = x+1 in (1,5)

then similar for f(g(x))

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you are composing two partial functions, the "is in the domain" relation can be computed by:
    x is in the domain of gof iff x is in the domain of f and f(x) is in the domain of g​
    Both of the things on the right-hand-side of that iff can be written as inequations, and you know how to solve those, right?

5. Oct 22, 2009 #4
    Okay I'm still not sure with the explanations provided but I'll give it a shot:

This is the line I'm basing what I've done on:
    "you need the range or image of the intermediate function vs the domain of the 2nd function"
    and I'm thinking about the functions as:

where:
    f(x) = x + 1 D=[-9, 9]
    g(x) = x2 D=(1, 5)

and:
    g o f = (f(x))2
    and
    f o g = g(x) + 1

then:
    g o f = (x+1)2
    D = (1, 5)
    The possible values for f(x) (aka: the range) is [-8, 10] which fails to affect the domain of g

f o g = x2 + 1
    D = (1, 9]
    The range of g(x) is 1<x<25 limiting the possible Domain of f(x) as it has to be >1

I hope this is right because it makes sense to me from a logical perspective, if it is I'll chalk this up to another situation of over-thinking.

6. Oct 22, 2009 #5

lanedance

Homework Helper

so for the functions, the domain & images are:

[tex] x \rightarrow f(x) = x+1 [/tex]
    [-9,9] -> [-8,10]

[tex] x \rightarrow g(x) = x^2[tex]
    (1,5) -> (1,25)

notice they are both one to one on the given domian which simplifies things

now for the function gof(x), the image, f([-9,9]) = [-8,10], but g(x) can only take values on (1,5) so we must restrict the domain, otherwise g is undefined, so we look at the f pre-image of the g domain,
    [tex] f^{-1}(x) = x-1 [/tex]
    [tex] f^{-1}((1,5)) = (0,4) [/tex]

so the total doamin will be given by the intersection of the f pre-image of the g domain & and the f domain
    [tex] D_{gof} = D_f \cap f^{-1}(D_g) = [-9,9] \cap (0,4) [/tex]

if all this is confusing try drawing 3 horizontal lines above each other.
    - the bottom is x, draw f domain
    - the 2nd is y = (f(x)), draw g domain
    - the 3rd is z = g(f(x))
    now try and draw the approximate mapping action of each function between the lines

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook