How To Prove it Inequality Proof

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the statement that if a and b are nonzero real numbers and a<1/a<b<1/b, then a<-1. The proof uses a contradiction to show that a must be less than 0, and further explains the implications if ab is positive or negative. The experts suggest some improvements to the wording of the proof to make it clearer and more concise.
Sorgen

Homework Statement

Suppose that a and b are nonzero real numbers. Prove that if a<1/a<b<1/b then a<-1.

The Attempt at a Solution

So after a while I realized that I could prove that a<-1 by contradiction but first I have to prove that a<0. I figured out how to prove it but I'm not sure if my wording is convincing enough and I feel that it might be redundant at points. Anyway, here's the proof:

Proof: Suppose a<1/a<b<1/b. It then follows that 1/a<1/b. Multiplying both sides of the inequality yields b<a, but this contradicts a<b. Therefore, one and only one variable a or b must be negative, and it follows that since b>a then a<0. Now suppose a[itex]\geq[/itex]-1. Plugging the value a=-1 into a<1/a yields -1<1/-1 or -1<-1, which contradicts a<1/a. Therefore a<-1.

Now I feel like the wording of that proof is a mess but I'm not sure how I would reword it. Also am I being redundant in saying "one and only one variable a or b must be negative" or does that need to be there? Or am I crazy and the proof is acceptable as is?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorgen said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that a and b are nonzero real numbers. Prove that if a<1/a<b<1/b then a<-1.

The Attempt at a Solution

So after a while I realized that I could prove that a<-1 by contradiction but first I have to prove that a<0. I figured out how to prove it but I'm not sure if my wording is convincing enough and I feel that it might be redundant at points. Anyway, here's the proof:

Proof: Suppose a<1/a<b<1/b. It then follows that 1/a<1/b. Multiplying both sides of the inequality
What is it you multiply by? What if ab is negative?

yields b<a, but this contradicts a<b. Therefore, one and only one variable a or b must be negative, and it follows that since b>a then a<0. Now suppose a[itex]\geq[/itex]-1. Plugging the value a=-1 into a<1/a yields -1<1/-1 or -1<-1, which contradicts a<1/a. Therefore a<-1.

Now I feel like the wording of that proof is a mess but I'm not sure how I would reword it. Also am I being redundant in saying "one and only one variable a or b must be negative" or does that need to be there? Or am I crazy and the proof is acceptable as is?

SammyS said:
What is it you multiply by? What if ab is negative?

Oops yeah I multiply both sides by ab. If ab is negative then the statement doesn't contradict because we then get a<b, but didn't I state that by pointing out the contradiction of if ab is positive?

If I modified that part to say:

Suppose ab is a positive real number. Multiplying both sides of the inequality 1/a<1/b by ab yields b<a, but this contradicts a<b therefore ab must be negative and thus because a<b a<0.

Is that better?

Yes, that's better.

Awesome, thanks!

1. What is an inequality proof?

An inequality proof is a mathematical method used to show that one quantity is greater than or less than another quantity. It involves proving the validity of an inequality statement using logical reasoning and mathematical operations.

2. How do I start an inequality proof?

The first step in an inequality proof is to clearly state the inequality statement that needs to be proven. This statement will typically involve two quantities and the inequality symbol (<, >, ≤, ≥). It is important to also clearly define any variables or parameters used in the statement.

3. What are the common techniques used in inequality proofs?

There are several techniques that can be used in an inequality proof, including algebraic manipulation, substitution, and mathematical induction. Other methods, such as using the properties of inequalities and the transitive property, can also be helpful in proving inequalities.

4. Can I use examples to prove an inequality?

Yes, using examples can be a helpful way to show that an inequality statement is true. However, it is important to remember that examples alone do not constitute a rigorous proof. They should be used as supporting evidence in conjunction with other mathematical techniques.

5. How can I check the validity of my inequality proof?

One way to check the validity of an inequality proof is to reverse the direction of the inequality symbol and see if the proof still holds. If the proof is still valid, then the original statement is also true. Additionally, double-checking each step of the proof and looking for any errors can help ensure its accuracy.